General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Drivers Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motorcycle Drivers Test

A funny little story about my MC driving test; I have been riding bikes for more than 40 years, hill climbing, TT, motocross, street bikes to dirt bikes and never though about a MC endorsement, I got one when I got my DL in '66.When I bought my Dyna SB almost two years agoI had to show the dealer my DL to ride the bike home. Well, I didn't have the MC endorsement, it must have expired sometime between -66 ans '06,and had to take the written test and get a temp MC endorsement.

When I went to the DMV to take the riding test I took my SB. Everyone told me to take a scooter or something small but I've been riding for a long time and I was sure I could pass the test on anything with two wheels.

When I got to the tasting center there were twelve of us, one guy that had a DUI and had to be retested and one guy from NYC that was a member of one of the bigger MC.

When they told us to go out and bring our bikes around to the test site we all got on our bikes, all of them ether metric cruisers of Harley's.

The first name called was the guy with the DUI he wason a 1300 metric , he failed on the second turn. the next guy up was the biker from NYC. They called his name and he yelled I'll be there as soon as I get this thing started. They called another name and and about that timethe guy from NYC pulled up on a little 75cc scooter. He past the test and ask the rest of usif we wanted to ride his "Bike" for the test.

The examiner said we could rent a bike from the guy across the parking lot or use theone thebiker from NYC offered or try it on our own bike. We all used the Biker from NYC's "bike".

All of us past except the first guy.

I guess even Big Bad Bikers fro NYC are not above riding what ever needs to be ridden to pass the MC endorsement test here in Florida.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is in NJ.places were you can rent a scooter for the test.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Ga. there is a corner that is layed out on the lot that is about 5' square and you have to negotiate that, a pretty tight corner that is 4 or 5' wide that you go around while staying within the lines, a panic stop or two some veering left and right according to the signal light that is set up, I did it on my RK, the examiner said "sir you sure ddid bring a big boke for the test". It really wasn't a problem, but I did brush up in the school parking lot a few times. practice your slow maneuvers in a lot somewhere and you'll do fine

Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Bluerose

What is wrong with waiting until Aug to get your license with the course?

If you've only been riding for 6 weeks and this is your first bike, you get the benefit of more practice and the course. Nothing wrong with being a newbie for a bit longer

The only thing your restricted from doing in CA with a permit is riding on the Highway. The best rides are not on the highway either.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Aroberts
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't ride at night, have a passenger or ride on the interstate. I do carry passengers and I will be riding on the interstate in a short couple hours. I haven't ridden at night yet. I just want to be 100% legal and not have to think about a riding test again.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had to test here in California three times (1975, 1990, 2004) as life has moved me away from bikes and back. The official CA test is hard on a big bike - weave thru cones then TWO laps between TIGHT concentric circles and back. First time I did it on a Honda CL100, passed. Second time I was out of practice by a few years, but practiced and passed on a 750 Virago - kid ahead of me dropped his new 600 Ninja, picked it up and rode away! Third time (after I caught HD fever) I went to a small DMV office in a little town nearby, and they had me ride around the block on the WG! I asked the examiner if anyone had ever failed, and he said a very small man on a new GoldWing fell over when he pulled back in. The examiner was a little guy, so he had to go in and get the clerks to come help get the bike up off the poor schmuck - he was the ONLY failure the examiner ever had!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

ORIGINAL: Alias

He may, but he would be one of the few that could. I would have to see the two up even then. I have not met a Motor Officer here that has and I not only know a bunch of them, I ride with most of them in this part of Florida and they say the same thing as I did.

ORIGINAL: Gunkholes

Alias--

The safety officer in our local Hog group is a Motor Officer in Bothell, WA. I'm confident he could put his Electra Ultra Classic through the Florida course, 2-up, like it was a moped. It's a sight to behold. He sets up courses at the dealership for us to practice -- invaluable.
Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbrByL9F22s

Not only two up, but tethered to boot.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

I *have* seen it. 2-up 180 turns in less than the width of two parking spaces; continuous 360s while dragging, etc. I realize that most folks can't do that with the exception of many of the motor officers, but my point is that it can be done. Just takes practice. Watch the Ride Like a Pro DVD -- they all do it.

ORIGINAL: Alias

He may, but he would be one of the few that could. I would have to see the two up even then. I have not met a Motor Officer here that has and I not only know a bunch of them, I ride with most of them in this part of Florida and they say the same thing as I did.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

Here is a decription of the driving test I think you will be taking. It's the one I took here in Indiana.

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/7135.pdf

The guy in front of me went through with zero deductions with a full dress bagger - awesome to watch.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Alias
Road Master

That looks likethe oneto me.

ORIGINAL: Z_Stingray

Here is a decription of the driving test I think you will be taking. It's the one I took here in Indiana.

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/7135.pdf

The guy in front of me went through with zero deductions with a full dress bagger - awesome to watch.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Drivers Test