General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Drivers Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Drivers Test

Then I don't see how they can may that a drivers test. There are minimums that have to be in place and a 50 cc isn't what I'd call a street bike, having said that I realize taking a bagger thriugh maybe a challenge, but the course should be set up for even a bagger to be used (stock configuration not extended forks or choppers mind you) I got my license in Hawaii, there you ride with an HPD motor officer through Honolulu, Waikiki (or use to)

Old 05-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alias--

The safety officer in our local Hog group is a Motor Officer in Bothell, WA. I'm confident he could put his Electra Ultra Classic through the Florida course, 2-up, like it was a moped. It's a sight to behold. He sets up courses at the dealership for us to practice -- invaluable.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mo has the cones, weaving back and forth through them. get up to second gear in a hurry, pass this line and stop before that line, u-turns, ride next to the cones. All this is done in what seems like a 6ft box, really it's bigger but not when you're doing some of those things. I did it on the Low Rider and was fine. I suggest you go to the DMV where they do it and see if you can watch some other folks do it. Atleast they may have the cones, if that's what they use, set up for you to check them out. 30 years ago, ride around the city block. Inspectors lost sight of you when you made the first turn. That was worthless but easy.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Alias
Road Master

We've been saying the something for years here. The Florida MC driving test was set up in the late '70's and went into effect in the early '80's. It really needs to be redone. But then again that would kill two whole industries, the private testing schools and the moped rentals. I bet if you looked real close you would find some lawmaker who has a hand in that school testing or the rental side or both.

ORIGINAL: Law Dawg

Then I don't see how they can may that a drivers test. There are minimums that have to be in place and a 50 cc isn't what I'd call a street bike, having said that I realize taking a bagger thriugh maybe a challenge, but the course should be set up for even a bagger to be used (stock configuration not extended forks or choppers mind you) I got my license in Hawaii, there you ride with an HPD motor officer through Honolulu, Waikiki (or use to)

Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
jimbo21165
Banned

I remember back when I was getting ready to take the M/C test, I went to the DMV, and got the scoop. I then went to the local school, put out some cones, and practiced, practiced, practiced....

Well, the day I went to take the test, EVERYONE must have been there to renew their license....the parking lot was full, the waiting room was full, etc.
The examiner called my number, and I met her at the counter. She was 70 years old, if she was a day. She asked me to blow the horn, turn on the signals, and looked at the inspection sticker. She said, "Well, Sugar, the parking lot is too full to do any maneuvers, and obviously you can ride the damn thing, since you rode it here in all that traffic, so let's just go around the corner and wait a few minutes, and go back in...."

I did a couple of figure 8's just to show her I could....

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Alias
Road Master

He may, but he would be one of the few that could. I would have to see the two up even then. I have not met a Motor Officer here that has and I not only know a bunch of them, I ride with most of them in this part of Florida and they say the same thing as I did.

ORIGINAL: Gunkholes

Alias--

The safety officer in our local Hog group is a Motor Officer in Bothell, WA. I'm confident he could put his Electra Ultra Classic through the Florida course, 2-up, like it was a moped. It's a sight to behold. He sets up courses at the dealership for us to practice -- invaluable.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

I don't know about Idaho, but you should ask people there. I can tell you it's unlikely you'd pass in California, where the DMV riders testcan benotoriously difficult. Many is the experienced rider that has failed coming from a state without reciprocity.

MANY riders in the MSF course here (where you get a certificate that let's you waive the driver's test) are experienced riders from such states that failed the rider's test and are looking to circumvent it, saying it was unpassable on other than a smallish standard like a Bandit 250 or something similar, which is one of the bikes the MSF uses (my wife took this course as a new rider, and she profiled the other students for me in this regard). She told me of one rider who went home, literally, in tears, after the slow slalom course.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

Well now then that explains it, you mentioned a politican. Lately appears anytime one of them is involved in something, it can't be good[:@][:@][:@]

Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

I am pretty confident in handling my WG. I am pretty sure I am turn just about as sharp as most people can but I realize a WG can only turn so sharp. Renting a scooter might be the way to go. The test only cost like $14 so if I do take it with the WG and fail I am only out $14,not a huge deal. It would be cool to pass my test with my WG. I thought I was cool when I passed my cage test with a manual at the age of 15.

I guess I will do some more research and see what exactly the test detail. I didn't realize every state was that much difference.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

I looked it up,

It says you will be tested on

-Sharp Turn
-Cone Weave
-Stalling
-Normal Stop
-U-Turn
-Obstacle Swerve
-Quick Stop

That doesn't help much. I'll call a friend who I think took it in Idaho but I know he moved here from Arkansas so he might not have had to take the driving test here.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Drivers Test