General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I helped a deer yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:48 AM
mikeyflhti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I helped a deer yesterday...

Some will say this was incredible, some will say what I did was stupid. Anywho, here's the story...

I decided to ride from Columbus to Huntington WV, the weather was great and I was itching for a long ride. Left late, around 11:00 or so. Once I got to the Ohio river in Portsmouth, I went East on 52, then cut across the Greenup Dam to 23. Short of Ashland, I turned right on "Industrial Parkway" (anyone know this road?). It's a long uphill, cut through the rocks, fun to ride. I got to test out the Stage II motor, just twisted the throttle and 80+ was my reward. Really liking the motor upgrade. Anyway, the road has 2 lanes going uphill, 1 coming down, almost no traffic. About 5 miles from Interstate 64, there was a semi about 300 yards in front of me. I noticed a deer lying in the middle of the road. But something didn't seem right, and I began slowing. In a matter of a few seconds I realized that the deer's head was up! It was alive right on the double yellow lines. Knowing there was nobody behind me, I put on my flahers and pulled to the side of the raod, stopping about 50ft short of the deer. Ok smarty, nowthat you stopped, what are you going to do?Something inside me didn't want to see this deer ground to hamburger by another semi or a car, or causing an accident. It was alive but stunned, obviously injured in the hind end but almost no blood on the road. So, for whatever reason, I started to approach the deer, checking for traffic first. Visiblility both ways was good andI couldn't see and cars or trucks. As I got closer to the deer, I could tell it was a buck. Antler growth had started andthe nubs from his head were about 3 to 4 inches long and about as big around as my ISO grips. I still don't know why I ded what I was about to do, but here it is. I gotcloser andslowly reached out my hand, knuckles out, and started talking to this deer like it was my dog, trying to calm it down sort of. I think it realizedthat I was trying tohelp it, it just looked at me and didn't move. I know that approaching a wounded animal can be dangerous, and I was ready for it to try to bite me, but it didn't. I did have my gloves and helmet on, along with my leather. The deer let me get close enough to it that my hand was right in frontof its nose. I left it there for a moment then stroked the side of its head while talking to it. Wow, this really isn't happening! I wanted to get it out of the road, and said to it "we've got to getyou off of the road". Why? Hell, I don't know why, it just happened. Seeing that it's back legs were injured, I bent down to touch it's legs. It started to move, acting like it wanted to try to get up and get the heck out of there. So Igently grabbed whatmay later grow to be it's left antler, placed my right hand under it's belly, and helped it up. The damn deer stood up, looked at me, then walked as best it could off of the road into some grass. It then'ran' as best it could off into the woods. It was obvious that the right rear leg was broken, but at least it was off the road. As it ran into the woods, I noticed that an older couple had stopped uphill about 30 feet away and watched this whole thing. The lady in the passenger seat, when they went by, her jaw was on the floor of the car, like she couldn't believe what shesaw.

The feeling of helping that deer was incredible, that it let me get so close and touch and help it. I have never experienced anything like thisin my life. I don't know if it will live, but at least it won't cause an accident and it has a better chance of survival.

Flame away if you wish, tell me I was stupid. I did what I did at t

Old 05-09-2007, 11:54 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I helped a deer yesterday...

Good for you. That was a noble thing you did. I'd have done the same. But to tell you the truth, I would have also been thinking about all the venison stew I could have been eating the rest of the ride home...

Old 05-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Nona
Outstanding HDF Member

YOU ROCK!!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 AM
mikeyflhti
Cruiser

Yea, there is plenty of room in my freezer, but that thought didn't cross my mind at the time. Bow season starts in October!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

That was a very nice thing you did. That old couple probably thought you were crazy...LOL.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM
M2hunter
Cruiser

No flaming here, I would have done the same thing............

Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master

Cool...I'm sure that was an awesome experience.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM
ownasofttail
Road Warrior

You did the right thing. You should be proud..Good Job

Old 05-09-2007, 12:22 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,123 Likes on 359 Posts

i guess you're the new "deer wisperer"! thats a kind thing to do in a world messed up as it is, theres a good deed done. The thing i would have leary of would be the hooves, they can put a good gash in ya. good job.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Harleygal
Cruiser

Wow! You're the "deer whisperer"!
I think that's a great story and you should feel very good about what you did!
Heck, I'll even stop and move turtles off the road if it's safe to do so.

Quick Reply: I helped a deer yesterday...