General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Tactical1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has given up on dealers for service?

Screw it!

Perople with attitudes don't want my money, so fugg em.[&:]

I been getting lazy in my old age and pay for some stuff, but the service guys I remember as a kid when I tagged along with my Dad are long gone...

No more customer oriented service.

From now on I work on my bike. No more abuse from jackazzes

Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
erockguide
Cruiser
Default RE: Who has given up on dealers for service?

The guys at my dealership are great. I have no complaints.

Still, I have grown fond of doing my own work because it helps me to learn more about my bike. Plus, avoiding $75 / hour is nice too.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

ME!!!!!! Nothing but problems & frustration. I was so glad to finish with my ext. warranty. I don't have the time or patience to even begin to tell you about all the crap I dealt with at 3 different dealerships in the Phoenix area.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM
scrawfordFLSTC
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't trust/want anyone to work on anything I own. You know what they say, you want somethin' done right...

Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

My local dealer changed owners less than two years ago and the new owner made it clear the service department need help and he still has not been able to fix it. The problem seems to be a tough one to correct. So they only see my ride when it is a warranty issue and if I can't handle it I have an excellent independent available (http://webpages.charter.net/johnsperformance/index.html ).

FBL

Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

$75/hour ?? Where do you take your bike? Labor at my local dealer is $95/hour! It is ridiculous. The indy shop I go to still charges $80/hour still pretty high if you ask me.

My dealer has a pretty good turn around and they are open 7 days week. The indy shop is slammed all the time, and it is a $45 taxi ride just to drop it off.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While my local dealer has a good service department..I'm picky (and cheap?) so unless it's really complicated or warranty work I prefer to do it myself.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 PM
gussie78
Tourer

Yea it's real considerate to get paid $75 an hour for labor, and thentreat us like they're doinga favor to look at our bikes. [sm=shootshoot.gif]Sorry I don't have the patience and don't want to show them my pissed off side. So best for all i don't use em'. Drop off your bike and get it back days later with a fat bill. No thank you. I think that since it's a family business here that maybe they were born that way. Unless you want to run with their crowd and be a suck *** to add to their arrogance. Nope not that either. I actually have a friend who works at one and he is so into selling their products I won't even bring up the subject of aftermarket. Harley makes a nice bike but for some things I feel it's fine too trust other established brand specific items, trans., heads, many things. The other thing is that if I had the equipment they had I'm quite sure I'd be turning wrenches around most of 'em. That said I'm sure there is alot of good ones out there, but bottom line is that I ain't going to pay the labor rate and be on their schedule. After all I'm the cheapest labor I know of. Good topic.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I cancelled my service contract and cashed it in after the second service. Every time a took my bike in for service, it was returned damaged and scratched with fastners loose or not attached. I used the money refunded from the service contract to buy a service manual, lift, and all required tools to service the bike. I've been doing service on my bike ever sence and could not be happier with the way it runs and looks. A local technical college teaches a class on Harley maintenance. I've been seriously considering taking the course to improve my knowledge of the bike. They also offer a mechanic certification program. My money may be better spent on educating myself rather than lining the dealers pocket.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
supervette79
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work in a car dealership shop....and if we ran our dealership like the local Harley dealer....we would be out of business. Every Harley dealer I have been to has a 'TUDE.

Now I just don't go there.

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?