General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has given up on dealers for service?

ORIGINAL: Tactical1

all this started after I called the stealer for some tires yesterday and got a bunch of sh*t. "I can"t guarantee you nothing. Are you a leisure rider???. Is it a priority."[&:][&:][&:]hell does it matter?

today I called the place that sells metric bikesand no problem. Very polite."Bring em in the morning sir, we have the tires in stockand they'll be ready to go by noon."

back to my heineken
what were they responding to?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 AM
capt42a
Road Master

For those that are hesitant on doing their own service work, fluid changes, brakes, etc check out www.fixmyhog.com Dennis explains things in simple englishin a professionally donevideo (dvd), it's money well spent. Read my review in the product review section and check out fixmyhog website.
capt42a

Old 05-11-2007, 01:57 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I don't know where to begin, this just keeps getting worse. Just got back from picking-up my07 Ultrafrom the dealer for the clatter noise and a few other problems, e.g. broken starter, engine cylinder paint peeling, vibration. Prior to arriving at the dealer, was told on the phone by the service manager, that they had; removed the primary cover to check the compensator and chain tensioner and everything was ok, starter was repaired and the cylinder repainted, they test drove the bike and claimed theyfound no clatter or vibration. However, after arriving at the dealer, I was given a different story, that they did not remove the primary cover for inspection because HD corporate forbid them to do that on the 07's, and would not be covered by warranty. The cylinder was reported as painted, but when I got home, I inspected, and the opposite was true, bare metal on the rear cylinder. Also, the bike still had the clatter and vibration. Apparently the only thing that got repaired (and only time will tell) was the starter, since Monday of this week. So the problem/s continue. I guess it's time to buy the service manual, and do things the right way. If this is the best the dealers can do, I think I can beat that by doing things myself.Good qualitycustomer service is a thing of the past, not just with HD, but others as well. Anything for a buck isthe motto nowadays, and it's one lie after another to get it.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't let my local dealer do service, unless I need my oil changed. I found a independant mechanic (HD trained/cert) that charges less and is willing to work with me. Dealerships are nothing but money ****** that have their hands in your wallet every time you walk in.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/BBC5B0FC266D4003A8DDD1F87CDE9D23.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 03:00 AM
signal
Cruiser

yep. after two unsatisfactory trips to two local dealers, i'm done..

i've resolved to do/learn/buy whatever i need to so that i can do whatever i need to on my own. already had the service manual and jack, bought and watched the two relevant fix my hog dvds, and read another good book on motorcycle maintenance. i will also be buying a table style lift in the near future.

lots of upgrades and maintenance planned so i'm stoked..

Old 05-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

gave up a long time ago

Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

My bike has been to a number of dealers (and indys) for 'repairs'...Never for service, unless it was incidental to the repair. Actually, the service manager where I bought the bike told me to do most of the 'service' myself. But that was in 1993...Bet they don't offer that bit of advice anymore.

For routine service and maintenance, if you have the aptitude, the tools, the workspace...There is really no good reason to have anyone else do it. Even 'simple' repairs, ie: cable replacements, tire replacement, brakes. Or 'bolt-on' performance mods: Air Cleaner, Exhaust, etc..Can all be done at home with a bike lift and ordinary hand tools.

Let's face the economic reality of things,a dealership or indy makes a whole lotta money by 'turning over' a huge volume of simple service work. Oil changes, 'bolt-ons', performance mods,'scheduled maintenance', etc. Things that all can be done in a matter of hours (or less) by their 'techs'. And can be 'squeezed' in between prepping new bikes or other 'major repairs'. They don't make their 'quota' by having a bike 'tied up' for a week (or seven weeks) getting an upper end rebuild.I suspect areason for all the delaysscheduling services/repairs are all due to the 'inventory' or 'backlog' of all the simple things that could'vebeen done by the owners...If they were so inclined.

But....There are a whole lotta HD owners that don't wanna get their hands dirty, or crawl around on the garage floor for an hour (or so) doing a fluid change. Dealers and Indys love people like that...

Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

I don't know where to begin, this just keeps getting worse. Just got back from picking-up my07 Ultrafrom the dealer for the clatter noise and a few other problems, e.g. broken starter, engine cylinder paint peeling, vibration. Prior to arriving at the dealer, was told on the phone by the service manager, that they had; removed the primary cover to check the compensator and chain tensioner and everything was OK, starter was repaired and the cylinder repainted, they test drove the bike and claimed theyfound no clatter or vibration. However, after arriving at the dealer, I was given a different story, that they did not remove the primary cover for inspection because HD corporate forbid them to do that on the 07's, and would not be covered by warranty. The cylinder was reported as painted, but when I got home, I inspected, and the opposite was true, bare metal on the rear cylinder. Also, the bike still had the clatter and vibration. Apparently the only thing that got repaired (and only time will tell) was the starter, since Monday of this week. So the problem/s continue. I guess it's time to buy the service manual, and do things the right way. If this is the best the dealers can do, I think I can beat that by doing things myself.Good qualitycustomer service is a thing of the past, not just with HD, but others as well. Anything for a buck isthe motto nowadays, and it's one lie after another to get it.
Update just more reasons to do your own repairs/maintenance. This morningI proceeded to wash and detail my bike after getting back from the dealer,as stated above. While going over the bike, I foundblack paint smudged on mychrome derby cover, apparently happened while they weredoing their sub-standard paint touch-up workto the rear cylinder, which also has bare metal showing,as also stated above.Again, bike still clatters and vibrates, just like before I even left it with them. What would one expect anyway, they're just off-springs of HD corporate or should I say, inbreds of HD.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hate to see dealers giving bad service when I just had such a great experience with mine. Sorry.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 PM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

I would love to forego the dealership whereby service issues on my bike are concerned. But the simple fact of the matter is that - unlike many of you guys on here - I'm just not an accomplished wrench. Sure, I can handle basic stuff and I know my way around a toolbox. Hell, I practically rebuilt my '65 Mustang's engine from ground up. But when it comes to bikes,there's no way I could even begin to tackle anything above fluid changes, minor electrical issues, and the like. I would be far too worried about screwing something up and causing even more damage to the bike. I have a service manual and have read through it seemingly dozens of times. And truthfully, I think I could handle a good deal of the stuff in there. But without the practical experience of actually having done it, it still makes me a bit apprehensive on approaching stuff that may well be beyond my capacity and ability. Does this make sense?

I, too, am like many of you in that I just don't like other folks messing with my bike. It never seems to fail, the bike is never returned in the same fashion/condition that it was initially delivered. And things like that really tend to send me over the deep end.

you won't ever get any practical experience unless you give it a try. take your time and enjoy the feeling of knowing your bike inside and out.

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?