General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Who has given up on dealers for service?

I'd given up on them until I moved and found Foster's Harley of Tuscumbia, AL.

1000 mile service $125
5000 mile service $140

They're not trying to get rich off of over inflating the hourly....

Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For those of you who have said the maintenance is beyond your capabilities, then a dealer is the place to go. Being an experienced wrench, there are still times when the job just doesn't go right, and back to the manual I go, along with a little scratching of the head based on prior experience.

I do caution some of those that are thinking about doing their own maintenance - make sure you have a pretty darn thorough tool chest, with metrics, torx, hex's as they will all come in to play depending on what you are doing, or be willing to make a few trips in the middle of the work to the local hardware or sears store to get another tool that is needed.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither of mine has seen the dealer since the day they left the showroom floor. As a matter of fact, neither did the past two or three.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I'm buying the service manual for my 07 Ultra and there will be few if any needs to return to the dealer. Why pay someone for something I can do myself and do it better.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for doing my own work and bypassing the dealership's service department for anything other than a warranty repair. I can get the parts just as fast, I don't have to spend $80.00/hr. for a mechanic who might fix the bike the first time and the best reason, is that I don't have to be without the bike for days on end for a simple fluid change or minor repair.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: scrawfordFLSTC

I don't trust/want anyone to work on anything I own. You know what they say, you want somethin' done right...
Me to, I agree 100%, I am with you all the way on this one......

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Tactical1
Tourer

all this started after I called the stealer for some tires yesterday and got a bunch of sh*t. "I can"t guarantee you nothing. Are you a leisure rider???. Is it a priority."[&:][&:][&:]hell does it matter?

today I called the place that sells metric bikesand no problem. Very polite."Bring em in the morning sir, we have the tires in stockand they'll be ready to go by noon."

back to my heineken

Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been riding on & off for40+ years, and have only been to the dealer (whatever the brand I had at the time) one time for engine work because I didn't have the correct special tools.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 PM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

On the way to Sturgis one year...had trouble (I'm sure it was water in the gas) and had to go to dealer in Casper, WY. I'd already poured in some alcohol. Mechanic said I needed new plugs and air filter (BullS**T). I said is this gonna get me back on the road? He said yes, I said go ahead and do it then. After I got back home, I checked the plugs.....one was coming out real hard....and found out he'ed CROSS-THREADED it. What ever happened to...."Thread it in two full threads by hand"? I guess they don't teach that anymore. Bought a thread-chaser and that took care of it....rode it for four more years with no problems. Anyway, it's never been back to a shop. Shop manual is the only way to go.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:52 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: erockguide

The guys at my dealership are great. I have no complaints.

Still, I have grown fond of doing my own work because it helps me to learn more about my bike. Plus, avoiding $75 / hour is nice too.
Pretty much where I am too. I take advice from the parts desk with a grain of salt - been misled a few times and I have heard them while talking to other folks... but I have no complaints about the work they have done for me. I do basic service to save money and learn about my bike - basic customization as well.

Columbia Harley, Vancouver Wa.

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?