General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who has given up on dealers for service?

I've never had any complaints about my dealership either from sales or service. And I can be might picky. It's been my experience that crappy attitudes and service exist in all walks of life--not just confined to HD. Frankly, I'm surprised to see some businesses still open. I refuse to go to any place that doesn't treat me as a valued customer. And it's real simple: tell me the truth, git 'er done when you say you will, and call me if there's a problem. Crap happens and we've all been there. I don't get pissed off if something happens to mess up the schedule that's out of your control, but not calling me to tell me there's a problem is very much in your control. I've had a couple of "come to Jesus" meetings when work wasn't completed and I had to initiate the call to find out what the delay was.

That said, I like to wrench on my own ride at every opportunity mainly because it's my ride and the more I know, the better I like it. I just like learning. So, first accessory is always the Service Manual. Got my lift, my little mechanics seat, a cold beer and a good 'gar. Life's pretty sweet. And good friends to call if I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had only one experience with a Stealer and they were great however, it was in Orange County,CA and I was from Seattle. So Maybe I recieved the "out of towner treatment" other wise I do most my self or go to a great local shop in Auburn, WA. For all of you in this area, I will put a plug in for them... www.randramericancycle.com... If you go there tell them Dan the computer guy sent you... Maybe I will get some more freebies...lol....

Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I am just too **** about everything and do not trust most people when it comes to my pride and joy.there are those that I would have do my work,but I truly enjoy doing my own and my rates are much less expensive.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

I would love to forego the dealership whereby service issues on my bike are concerned. But the simple fact of the matter is that - unlike many of you guys on here - I'm just not an accomplished wrench. Sure, I can handle basic stuff and I know my way around a toolbox. Hell, I practically rebuilt my '65 Mustang's engine from ground up. But when it comes to bikes,there's no way I could even begin to tackle anything above fluid changes, minor electrical issues, and the like. I would be far too worried about screwing something up and causing even more damage to the bike. I have a service manual and have read through it seemingly dozens of times. And truthfully, I think I could handle a good deal of the stuff in there. But without the practical experience of actually having done it, it still makes me a bit apprehensive on approaching stuff that may well be beyond my capacity and ability. Does this make sense?

I, too, am like many of you in that I just don't like other folks messing with my bike. It never seems to fail, the bike is never returned in the same fashion/condition that it was initially delivered. And things like that really tend to send me over the deep end.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:11 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Hey Gabe, there is a place in Redlands called California Rider. They do service, installs, and dyno tuning. I am really impressed with them. The mechanic's name is Tim. If you need some work done, give them a shot.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM
sagalong
Advanced

Hey Hogboy, who is your dealer?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Azgunner

ME!!!!!! Nothing but problems & frustration. I was so glad to finish with my ext. warranty. I don't have the time or patience to even begin to tell you about all the crap I dealt with at 3 different dealerships in the Phoenix area.
I had my 1000 mile done at the dealer here in NW Phoenix where I bought the bike but will do all the rest of the regular service myself. I will be doing the 5000 mile service shortly and I trust only me with my bike. They want $345.00 for the 1K and 5K service now which is ridiculous and you have no guarantee that they actually do everything they are supposed to do as shown in my service manual. So Azgunner, what dealers are you talking about here in the Phoenix area, inquiring minds want to know.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Wilinfla
Tourer

I can say that my bike or my wifes will never see a dealers service department. I have had too many bad experiences there, no more chances for them to redeem themselves. If I can't do it myself, there is an indy shop a couple miles from my house that is awesome. The ownerknows our bikes and his prices are reasonable and the work is great! There is definitely way too much attitude at the dealers.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Motogo
Road Captain

F U * K Harley Davidson of Macon, Ga . Nuff said.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 PM
woody79
Intermediate

I do as much as I can.
Everything else goes to Mt. Airy Motorcycle Co.

The small indie is my choice.

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?