General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Who has given up on dealers for service?

I have 2 local indi shops that I know of ..one does work for 50.00 and one does 75.00 an hour.

My two HD st^^^dealers ...well closest one is 76.00 an hour(73.00 if u bought ur harley there)(but will sometimes try to over quote you on time it would take)
and where I bought it 99.00 an hour (but wont over quote u on hours it will take)

I have a PPM at the dealer that's 99.00 an hour.. they charge me 33bucks more for syn3... above my PPM(what a crock)

I recently had an Amsoil dealer send me a case of 20w-50 and Gear Oil 45-90
I have changed out my trans fluid so far... will be doing my Primary next then my motor.
I will prob just change out the PPM service Dino Oil each time I go in.. (or tell em not to touch the fluids)
LOL what a waste, maybe get a refund on the PPM.. ill ask next time im in..heh

But anyways.. with the dealers trying to get more hours for a job than it really takes is utter crapola.
Got quoted for a security system at one place 3hours @ 76.00 and at the other 1 hour @ 99.00
Told the guy at the 3hour place about the difference in quotes and he adjusted it for 1 hour.. LOL

They were just a quote, I will be doing the thing myself if I can .. maybe not on the security fobs tho
Got quoted at an indi shop 6 f'n hours for a total bar change(lines/controls/grips/bars) @ 50.00 an hour
Got quoted 2.5 hours for a front fork change... @ 75.00 an hour heh

I am just going to do the work myself.. I have tools and a pvc 2" pipe for the fork slider bushings....
Hell HD cant even sell me their 41mm fork bushing tool... glad there is a bunch of HOW-TOs on this site
And save the money from the shops installs for something else.. like..hmm a tach-speedometer

Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20,000 mile service is $600.00. I need back brakes and a tire, another $300.00. At this rate I will pay for this bike twice. If you did all required maintance at the dealer you would almost pay for your bike twice. I am now doing my own.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three dealerships are available to me in this area. I got three different attitudes to pick from. I ride over an hour for the good one. Not all of them are the same and there is probably someone on this forum that works at a dealership and cringes at some of the posts that are made that don't represent his workplace at all. To be honest I think a generalization that all are bad is not fair to some of the good ones.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:09 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Start doing little work and little maintenance issues. If you get to a point and don't know what to do....Just Ask!! Watch others turn wrenches and read your shop manual pertaining to your bike. On a rainy day when you can't ride.....scroll through the manual. You will probably learn things and remember things about your bike that way.....

What ever happens....do not ever get over confidence though. That can be costly and possibly be hazzardous.

Warranty and recall stuff.....I suggest going to the dealer.

The older bikes like the EVO's and Shovelheads are not so glued to the dealers like the Twin Cams are. The more complicated they get....the more you will probably be glued to a dealer.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be lucky because our local dealership does good work and tries to take care of people. I have no problem with them whatsoever. They also support their H.O.G. chapter (10% discount, attend meetings, sponsor events, etc.). The General Manager told me he did not want to sell me one bike, he wanted me as a customer for as long as I was around. That is the attitude we have in our own business and it is definitely the attitude a dealership should have. I mean, within a two-hour radius here, there must be 10 or more dealerships so there are options.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Donald A
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been riding Harley's since 1965, never been to a dealer for service. Have had good luck with the sales and management, but have heard horrow stories about the service. If I need service that is beyond my capability/tools, I go to an outlaw shop that I trust.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 331 Posts

i dont bring my bike to the dealer, i do my own. if i cant do it, or i need something heavy done, i'll bring it to an indy thats close by.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

AZgunner, Ditto
[:@]
Saint

Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm always on the lookout for a local school for a class like this. No luck so far.....

ORIGINAL: Geoseismic

A local technical college teaches a class on Harley maintenance. I've been seriously considering taking the course to improve my knowledge of the bike. They also offer a mechanic certification program. My money may be better spent on educating myself rather than lining the dealers pocket.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's notjust thedealers that can have crappy service. I tried a local indy and they were no better than the dealer. Actually worse.Bike took 3 days longer than they said,didn't callme backwhen they said they would and I had to keep calling them. Then when I went topick up the bike and saw the shop......what a dump!IMO if people can't keep their work areas at least somewhat clean, they won't give a rats azz on how they treat your bike. I'm still lookingfor a good local indy.

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?