General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who has given up on dealers for service?

$50 for a service manual is a hell of a lot cheaper than th $95/hr at a stealer or $75 at an indy. Something to crazy I'll go the the indy shop but for the most part it's all me, that way I know it's done right.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 AM
MountainCat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee sounds like this is a place to VENT!!! Called the dearship to see if delivery of my bike is on sched for the 2 week delayed delivery. The guy was mumbling on the phone and kinda slipped out an end of May date now. But he had to phone me back... still waiting on that too. This is just the sales aspect of it can't imagine what the service aspect would be like. I'm thinkin that if I don't here back I'm going elsewhere. There are a few of you here from Edmonton Alberta. Any recommended dealers there?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

I took my bike the first year because they gave me a year of services free (yeah right).
The first accessory I bought was the service manual.
I have since been doing all my services and just did a Stage 1 95" upgrade today as a matter of fact. I do not have a DYNO so I will have to rely on someone for that. But hey I can't get all the equipment to fit in my garage.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:46 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I change my own oil. I don't like waiting at the dealer and the higher prices. I got a indy shop that does good work and trys real hard to earn my business. I like the heck out of them and I bought a extended warranty on my 07 bike. If the dealer ain't fixin it for free I go to my indy shop.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 AM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
Cruiser

When I bought my '01 Deuce my brother-in-law didn't think that I should even change the handlebar adjustment. But he was Dutch, and wasn't brought up working on those old cars like we did back in the '50's. Other brother-in-law(a commercial fisherman) tought me that you can do all of the scheduled maintenance and more. So now we have the manuals, the lift, the websites(Zanotti, etc.and )and the experience and don't use the dealers much anymore. But a '95 Stage II upgrade like jt1965, now that sounds like ahandfull, but doable once you set your mind to it, I guess.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:47 AM
98fxd
Tourer

my sales guy was awesome. i expected it to be a crappy experience, did my home work, and was on my guard. the guy whom answered the first phone call wanted my business and made good on everything i asked for. as im approaching my first service, im hoping this guy represents the dealer and the service department. the good news is i really feel like ths guy will help me out if they give me a hrad time or anything but great service. i won't ever have it back for maintainence, i can do that myself. i know that they'll only see my bike if soemthing is wrong with the manufacturing or construction... at least until my warranty expires.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:15 AM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: scrawfordFLSTC

I don't trust/want anyone to work on anything I own. You know what they say, you want somethin' done right...

i'm with you. if i can't do it, i've got friends who can. be a cold day in hell before i let a dealer touch my bike.

guy i ride with took his ultra in for a minor electrical issue. it's been there 3 weeks and they lied to him twice on what day parts were ordered.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:26 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just can't see paying someone to do something i can do myself. and most importantley i enjoy working on my vehicles.whether its my 05 gmc truck, my 06 harley, or my 07 bmw.i am lucky enough to work at the bmw dealership as a tech so i can work on my bmw otherwise i would not have bought it. i'm not paying the 160.00 an hour we charge. i rec ommend that anyone who takes their bike in for svc to do it themselves if they have the means. you get satisfaction in a job well done that you would never get paying someone else to do the work.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I have done all my own maintenance and installed all the mods myself. My bike has only been to the dealer one time and that was last fall. I had ridden thru a huge pile of grease and the whole bike was splattered. I got lazy and let the dealer do a detailing for me. He didn't get anyof the grease off the underside of the frame and engine and he buffed thru the paint on the rear fender. Never again will anyone touch the bike but me.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:39 AM
sgt joe
Road Captain

If ya plan on on making ridin motorcycles a part of your life for many years.....GETCHA A MANUAL and learn how to work on your bike....You will NEVER regret learning how to do it yourself for all kinds of reasons.....For saving money, for the satisfaction of doin it yourself and knowing its been done right, for being able to help others work on their bikes by sharing your knowlege..etc...Personally i have NEVER bought any type of extended warranty on anything i have ever owned...If you feel a little uncomfortable bout workin on your bike [ many folks are that way, and its understandable } Get with an indy and see if he can help you along learning the basics.....You would be surprised how many folks like teaching others....In many ways its flattering to some folks to be asked for their expertise.....Also their are alot of dvd teaching courses out there that teach about maintaining and repairing your particular bike.....I have heard they are excellent and very thorough !....Nothing stinks more than waiting 2 weeks for your bike to be fixed, and getting a bill for 800 dollars to boot......When you coulda done it yerself for 80 dollars in parts and 3 or 4 hours of your time !......Learn your machine inside and out !!!!!!!!! MUCH CHEAPER THAT WAY !

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?