General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:55 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by chromepony
I got my info about HD mechanic commissions years ago from an advertisement in a major biker magazine. A dealer was advertising for mechanics...hourly wage plus commission. It sounded like the commission was on "upsells" but I don't know about that. The commission was divided evenly among all the mechanics. Think about that a bit. See how that encourages all the mechanics to contribute to the pot? Sort of like a peer pressure thing....the guy that's not selling parts is gonna be blackballed by the others.
I've had my bike in a HD shop three times in twenty-two years......all on cross country road trips. Two out of three times they did work that wasn't required or asked for....and each time it cost me money for parts or supplies that weren't needed. I have to think that was the mechanic's contribution to the pot.
So "ROADKING 2000", don't tell me BS .....the ad was right there in the magazine.
Oh, but I will unless you can show me that ad. On top of that, business changes and what they may or may not have done years ago has zero relevance today. We have people saying they get a commission on hours, now a commission on parts. I could see where MAYBE they would get a commission on parts they upsell, but parts used to repair the bike, no. If I talk you into a chrome do dad maybe I get a buck or 2 for the sale, but for parts used to fix whatever is broken I'd need more than your say so before I'd believe it. They did work not required or asked for on your bike and you paid for it? You're a fool for doing that. If a repair costs more than $100 they must give a estimate. If the repair is more than 10% over the estimate, they must get your approval. They also have to provide a bill with all parts they used and if they are NOT new parts, it must be stated on the bill. They also have to provide the replaced parts if you ask for them. That's the federal law regarding repairs anyway so if you got ripped, you have yourself to blame. Oh and if they replace a perfectly good part, you can have them charged with consumer fraud unless you gave written approval for the replacement. Of course most States also have laws to give you additional protection.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:12 PM
rattracer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new 2013 Street Glide last year, and it will not go to the dealer for service. Their shop labor price is ridiculous. The local dealership can't keep a good mechanic, I don't know how much of the $75 an hour the mechanic gets, but it's obviously not enough. There are at least three good qualified mechanics in the are that do as good or better work than the dealer, and change about half. In addition, I do not trust the dealership to be honest with me about work - they push their employees to upsell, to the point where they will lie to nearly every customer that comes through the door. Do what you want, a lot of people are happy paying $75 an hour labor, paying premium prices for "Genuine Harley" parts, and being sold stuff they do not need. I'm not one of them.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:24 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Show me a dealer who does not cheat, lie, or does not bill for stuff not required or performed, I will take all my cars, bikes to that dealer.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by katanaplanet
Show me a dealer who does not cheat, lie, or does not bill for stuff not required or performed, I will take all my cars, bikes to that dealer.
With all due respect,that works both ways,I have seen customers,cheat and lie to try to get things fixed for free,when the customer caused the problem ,or when someone else tried to repair something and screwed it up.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

roadking2000,
I said I thought the commission paid to mechanics may have been on "upsells" but I was not sure about other parts replacements. Re-read the quote. You went on a rant for nothing....could've saved that rant for another day.
Your recitation of consumer laws is commendable but most of us on this forum have heard or read it all before. Let me state the obvious: laws are for HONEST people, to guide HONEST people through life. DIShonest people don't give a rat's bum about laws. If you think there are NO dishonest HD mechanics or HD dealers ( "stealers", why do some people refer to them as "stealers"?} then the nicest thing I can say about that is......you're just naïve.
So you say my post has "zero relevance today"? There are hundreds of threads and posts on this forum by people who have been overcharged for service or had parts changed out that wasn't necessary. That's not relevant?
Even if I saved magazines for ten or fifteen years, I wouldn't bother to send you a scan of it to prove anything. I wouldn't waste my time. The fact that you don't believe it doesn't change a thing in my life.
I posted originally to maybe save someone a buck or two and to inform about what goes on at the "stealer". Believe it or disregard it.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:44 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by chromepony
roadking2000,
I said I thought the commission paid to mechanics may have been on "upsells" but I was not sure about other parts replacements. Re-read the quote. You went on a rant for nothing....could've saved that rant for another day.
Your recitation of consumer laws is commendable but most of us on this forum have heard or read it all before. Let me state the obvious: laws are for HONEST people, to guide HONEST people through life. DIShonest people don't give a rat's bum about laws. If you think there are NO dishonest HD mechanics or HD dealers ( "stealers", why do some people refer to them as "stealers"?} then the nicest thing I can say about that is......you're just naïve.
So you say my post has "zero relevance today"? There are hundreds of threads and posts on this forum by people who have been overcharged for service or had parts changed out that wasn't necessary. That's not relevant?
Even if I saved magazines for ten or fifteen years, I wouldn't bother to send you a scan of it to prove anything. I wouldn't waste my time. The fact that you don't believe it doesn't change a thing in my life.
I posted originally to maybe save someone a buck or two and to inform about what goes on at the "stealer". Believe it or disregard it.
My rant was well placed. You said "Two out of three times they did work that wasn't required or asked for....and each time it cost me money for parts or supplies that weren't needed. I have to think that was the mechanic's contribution to the pot. So "ROADKING 2000", don't tell me BS .....the ad was right there in the magazine."

I said you were a fool for paying for it if in fact it ever even happened and I still haven't seen the ad you CLAIM said they would get a commission on those parts you think you purchased as some sort of contribution to a shop pool. You paid for parts that weren't needed? You paid for work that wasn't required? They actually broke federal laws and did that and you paid for it at 2 separate dealerships? When did the owners of those dealerships finally go to prison or are they still getting away with their illegal business practices?

Old 12-24-2014, 04:10 PM
haulin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will not let them touch my bikes anymore. I can do it better than them and in a more timely fashion and I enjoy passing down the knowledge to my son. Started working on bikes of some friends recently ... who knows ... Every town needs an honest indy