General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by chromepony
And one more thing.........everyone on here knows that HD mechanics are paid an hourly wage...PLUS commission, right?
Actually, I did not know that.

Commission on what? All parts used on a job, (he gets a commission on an oil filter?!?), or just the ones the tech "upsells" to the customer?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM
beckysdlx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I took my Sportster in to have aux lighting put on they scratched my front fender.. the next time I took it in for the oil light flickering and it came back still doing it. I took it back and picked it up with the handgrips black which made my hands black from the mechanics greasy hands :/

Old 12-22-2014, 05:58 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by chromepony
And one more thing.........everyone on here knows that HD mechanics are paid an hourly wage...PLUS commission, right?

BS They don't get a commission. They may get a bonus if they bill more hours than they work, but they don't get a commission. Also it's pretty hard to bill as many hours as you work unless you are good, efficient, don't take breaks, and don't run into problems. If everything is as it should be, you can do it on a job, but if you get a stripped head, or a frozen bolt, or something else that isn't accounted for in the book rate on a particular job, you are screwed. The book rate doesn't account for the time it takes to go to the parts department and grabbing whatever parts you need either. My niece is a tech that has worked at several dealerships from Florida to Ohio and NONE of them paid her a commission.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:09 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical1
Screw it!

Perople with attitudes don't want my money, so fugg em.[&:]

I been getting lazy in my old age and pay for some stuff, but the service guys I remember as a kid when I tagged along with my Dad are long gone...

No more customer oriented service.

From now on I work on my bike. No more abuse from jackazzes
Well, the two dealerships I work with are excellent...both in personal customer service and timely, quality work. Guess I'm on of the lucky ones and the two are family owned, with one being one of the earliest dealerships set up in Midwest

Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Everything is pretty easy IF you know how, IF you have the tools, IF you have the time, IF you have the desire.

I know several people who have no business being near tools.
These are the people who don't know which end of the screwdriver to pound on, and that would go in search of left handed wrenches if asked.

I get on my ol's azz for using a "screwdriver to pound on".

Thought they were made for screwing and unscrewing.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

I only use a dealer for Warranty work, otherwise I go to a Indy.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:11 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
BS They don't get a commission. They may get a bonus if they bill more hours than they work, but they don't get a commission. Also it's pretty hard to bill as many hours as you work unless you are good, efficient, don't take breaks, and don't run into problems. If everything is as it should be, you can do it on a job, but if you get a stripped head, or a frozen bolt, or something else that isn't accounted for in the book rate on a particular job, you are screwed. The book rate doesn't account for the time it takes to go to the parts department and grabbing whatever parts you need either. My niece is a tech that has worked at several dealerships from Florida to Ohio and NONE of them paid her a commission.

At our dealership the techs make a base salary (not much) plus commission on billed hours.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 AM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My father was a Master Mechanic and I was conscript labour in his shop for much of my youth so I learned way more about wrenching than I ever intended.

From what I know of the industry there are VERY few people that I will allow to work on my machinery and even then I watch them like a hawk. And if they don't allow customers in the shop, my business goes elsewhere - non-negotiable!

I still don't like getting dirty but I don't trust anyone else.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:37 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I am lucky so far. My dealer had done me ok since 2004.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I got my info about HD mechanic commissions years ago from an advertisement in a major biker magazine. A dealer was advertising for mechanics...hourly wage plus commission. It sounded like the commission was on "upsells" but I don't know about that. The commission was divided evenly among all the mechanics. Think about that a bit. See how that encourages all the mechanics to contribute to the pot? Sort of like a peer pressure thing....the guy that's not selling parts is gonna be blackballed by the others.
I've had my bike in a HD shop three times in twenty-two years......all on cross country road trips. Two out of three times they did work that wasn't required or asked for....and each time it cost me money for parts or supplies that weren't needed. I have to think that was the mechanic's contribution to the pot.
So "ROADKING 2000", don't tell me BS .....the ad was right there in the magazine.

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?