General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has given up on dealers for service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:17 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

It's been my experience that if you let the staff get to know you as a fellow human being and a fellow rider, everything changes.

I've got wires pulled out, and those frickin' connectors, and I couldn't figure out how to get the connectors apart, so I took everything down there. After they finished laughing at me and busting my ***, the tech said: "Now pay attention...", and showed me how to do it. No charge.

Any time I have a question, they'll stop what they're doing and help me out. I was in last week with a suspension mod question, and I asked "Got a sec for a question?". "I've got all the time you need". Several months ago I stopped in and talked to the Service Manager: "I've got a noise at 35 mph". "Hang on, let me get my helmet".

I love those guys.

And, when I do take my bike in for service, everybody knows it's "Clay's bike".

The "tude" thing goes both ways, ya know. Makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 12-21-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,462 Likes on 5,044 Posts

Deleted Post

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-21-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:36 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
I am gonna take a guess dealership service departments receive lots of calls from 'do it your selfers' who are stuck and want advice on how to finish the job, at no charge of course.
Bingo! We don't mind answering questions,we are there to help,but a lot of people will call for things such as "How do I set my clock?"and so many questions that aren't that hard to find in the owner's manual.Like I said we are there to help people with their bikes,it just doesn't seem like anyone likes to read anymore.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 673 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm going to give my dealer a chance. I am going to take my bike to them for the 1,000 mile service, and I'll see how it goes from there. If it doesn't work out either then or down the road, there are a few really good indie shops here in St. Louis.

On a sidenote, I just had an epically bad experience with my Jeep dealer. I don't think anyone could be as horrible than their service department.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 AM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't see any reason to take a motorcycle for a service. Its easy work and takes less time than going to a dealer, fill the paperwork, say no multiple times to non required work, go back, start the process all over again and find out later the work has not been performed properly. Bikes are easy to work.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 AM
jsvt184
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually thinking of going back to have the dealer work on things I don't want to do. I've had a few not so good experiences with indys. I had an old ironhead chopper engine rebuilt at an indy and it cost me almost as much as a new sportster would have cost and took 5 months. Switched indys and had tires and brakes done on my glide. Cost savings compared to a dealer was only about $60 and the work was not performed to my satisfaction. Even the air pressure was at 80psi when I got it home. The dealer is expensive but at least I know they are professional and do a good job.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been riding for 40yrs. and have never used a dealer for anything.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Everything is pretty easy IF you know how, IF you have the tools, IF you have the time, IF you have the desire.

In my case, I do my own wrenching because I do have the know how, the tools, more time than money, and so on. I grew up having to do my own work because I didn't have the money to pay anyone else. Now I do, but I still choose to do what I reasonably can myself- cause I'm still a cheap ol bastard.

I know several people who have no business being near tools.
These are the people who don't know which end of the screwdriver to pound on, and that would go in search of left handed wrenches if asked.

I'd also guess that in some cases professional mechanics (Indy or dealer) make a few bucks correcting problems caused by incompetent repair attempts.

I've only used my dealer for a couple recalls, and they never tried to upsell me additional work. There were no paperwork nightmares or other horror stories. I went in, they did the work, I bs'ed with the sales guys and counter people while I waited, and out I went. No problem what so ever.

Lumping all Harley dealers into one category is really meaningless- there are hundreds of dealers in the U.S., they are all independent businesses. Like everything else, there will be some really good ones, some duds, and anywhere in between.

I'm sure the exact same is true for independents- some walk on water, some are inept, and anywhere in between.

Customer attitude probably plays into the experience with any business you choose to patronize.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:59 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

And one more thing.........everyone on here knows that HD mechanics are paid an hourly wage...PLUS commission, right?

Quick Reply: Who has given up on dealers for service?