General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transform Your Harley-Davidson into a "Reverse Trike" with a Tilting Motor Works Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I like the idea. I don't like the look, that front fender this is UGLY, I think all fenders that are no longer covering a wheel look stupid on trikes. But I think if you chopped this thing up, got rid of stupid fairings and windshields, and gave it some grunge, it could look really badass. It's not going to look like a Harley, and I assume that's why many of the members here don't like it. But it's got an engine and wheels so that makes it cool. Awesome engineering. I bet this works loads better in the rain. I bet drifting could be really cool too. If I had money to burn, I'd slap this on a bike in no time and get to work styling it more to my style. I would miss the lane splitting though.

Very cool.

Last edited by Dane M; 03-07-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

If you want a trike then buy an actual trike. If you want a can am then buy one of those.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 AM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by Melroy
If you want a trike then buy an actual trike. If you want a can am then buy one of those.
And if the person wants neither of those? If the person wants a 3 wheeled vehicle that leans in corners? That's what this is designed for.

The following users liked this post:
cajunlowrider (05-19-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 487 Posts

HD continues to design to an ever aging clientele. I applaud them for this, but I wish they would spend some money on designing bikes that appeal to younger buyers that are not mind locked on a single 100 yr old design feature. There are fantastic bikes in the market place that feature innovations that enhance both the riding experience and the riders safety.

Harley's answer is the Street series, which is not available with ABS, not to mention Traction Control, etc. There one attempt is the V-rod, which has now remained unchanged in 14 years.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
HD continues to design to an ever aging clientele. I applaud them for this, but I wish they would spend some money on designing bikes that appeal to younger buyers that are not mind locked on a single 100 yr old design feature. There are fantastic bikes in the market place that feature innovations that enhance both the riding experience and the riders safety.

Harley's answer is the Street series, which is not available with ABS, not to mention Traction Control, etc. There one attempt is the V-rod, which has now remained unchanged in 14 years.
They have been trying to appeal to the younger crowd, but not doing as well as they would hope. I thought the Street was designed mostly with the Indian market in mind, correct me if I'm wrong.

The young guys I do see riding harleys (myself included) ride sportsters, as it's something we can afford. Most younger riders like myself cannot afford the higher price tag motorcycles. I think the sportster is right for me, but I like the softails as well and I cannot afford one even if I wanted it. And many young riders just want fast and flashy so they get sport bikes. Personally, I like to keep my vehicles as simple as I can, I like to have as few things that can fail as possible. A lot of these electronic systems are expensive to fix and you can't do it yourself even with a base set of mechanical skills.

I think for my age group I'm sort of a minority, young guy riding a harley instead of something else.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,570 Posts

i've been riding for 47 years now and due to an accident and losing my left leg i sold my other two HD bikes and bought a new tri-glide, put a hand shifter on it and away i go. none of that other "stuff" appealed to me. i guess the old school style suff is just rooted to deep in these old bones to change much. all them other trikes kinda looked like spaceships or some other crazy contrapions. to each their own, but not for me. the best part about having a trike is i'm still out there in the wind with my buddys.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Dane M
Road Master

If you're going tilting trike, why not go tilting quad!!? You could convert your harley to a tilting quad. I'm SURE a ton of members would love that!

+

vroom vroom

Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 PM
alienbogey
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand all the hate....

I've ridden reverse trikes, Can-Am's, and I own a sidecar rig (and a Sportster). This looks like a lot more fun than the reverse trike and the Can Am, and I'd be hard put to choose between this and the hack, although that is a somewhat apples and oranges comparison.

If I got to the point that I couldn't go two wheels anymore I'd go with this before any of the other options.

My wife has a pocket cruiser, an S-40, but isn't comfortable with a larger two wheeler. She's tried reverse trikes and Can-Ams but no sale. Her eyes lit up when she watched the Leno's garage video.

According to Jay, if you don't look down at the front wheels you can't tell you're not on two wheels. That, plus no oily pavement low sides, no dumping in gravel, no worries about picking up a dropped bike - I may be in trouble, because we have an anniversary coming up.

The following users liked this post:
cajunlowrider (05-19-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

.....Helmet and mouth guard sold separately.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

It looks like it would be fun as **** to ride. I'm not ready for one, but I suppose I can see the day when I might (although not for quite some time, knock on wood).

Quick Reply: Transform Your Harley-Davidson into a "Reverse Trike" with a Tilting Motor Works Kit