General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing bugs in between washes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Removing bugs in between washes

On the chrome & paint I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer mist & wipe between washes.This is over a good wax job after the bike has been givena real wash job. I think this detailer (like most) is made up mostly of water with a few "slickners" added in.

On the windshield Iapply Slip Streamer cleaner & polish (blue & yellow aerosol can) to a clean windshield. Thisprovides a slick basecoat which makes it easier to get the bugs off. Between coatings of Slip Streamer I have a plastic spray bottle full of water which I mist onto the windshield to soften up the bugs. Let the misting sit for 5-10 minutes and the bugs wipe right off of the Slip Streamer coated windshield. The wife gets these empty spraybottles for a couple of $s at Walmart.

Now to technique... I only use a clean micro-fiber cloth on the windshield andI always use an up-and-down wiping motion. This is something I learned when I started flying little airplanes years (decades) ago. You will always cause some scratching when you put cloth to lexan. Up-and-down scratches will not scatterlight like circles or side-to-side scratches. Your windshield will be cleaner and easier to see through when riding into the sun or at night.

Edmo

Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bike Bright....just spray on and hose off. Tim

Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Redneck
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years I have used water with Plexas which works excellent, and while at the Laughlin River Run the owner of Purple Slice was staying at the same RV park and over a few beers and him cleaning my bike with purple slice I was amazed at how good the product is.

If you don't anything I have found soaking a towel in hot water and laying it over the fairing for a minutes works good.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
alexcue
Road Master

S100 Special Surfaces Cleaner for the bug guts. Works great on the windshield and fairing, doesn't hurt on the chrome either in a pinch. HD dealers are all stocking it now. Keep some in my saddlebag, along with a Microfiber cloth.

I've even used it on the glass to keep them from sticking, but recommend you go over with some windex (on the chrome too) later.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 AM
surv1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hughtwg

What Bigismo said except I use a towel soaked in hot water. Let sit for a few minutes than wipe off.

-Hugh
That's all it takes. They wipe right off.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:47 AM
tray999
Advanced

I use Captain Richard's "The Bom" http://www.badtothebom.com/welcome.htm. Works great on any part of the bike!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Windshield,plastic cleaner,paint, quick shine,chrome,chrome polish.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:41 PM
harleyhog1957
1st Gear

I have found the perfect bug remover. It removes bugs from your chrome and paint. It is an all purpose cleaner just dont put it on leather or vinyl. A friend of mine owns a small Harley repair and service shop and sells it by the bottle. It last for 2 washings and the whole bottle will last a long time. It is well worth the $15 a bottle. If you would like more information email me at harleyhog1957@hughes.net.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here on the Gulf coast we get invaded twice a year by these little flies called "Love Bugs"
They really make a real mess and will pit paint if you don't get the remains off pretty quick.

Have used wet towels, peroxide all that stuff and they all work as advertised.

Saw a post on another forum that recommended using a damp micro-fiber cloth. All you have to carry is a bottle of water and a cloth and so far it seems to work very well as long as you don't let them set too long.

Sure beats dragging out a hose, bucket etc after every ride.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Bluerose

A warm wet towel works wonders on my windshield.

Quick Reply: Removing bugs in between washes