General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
I bought my bike with cash.
59.13%
I made payments but now own it.
14.78%
I am still making payments for the rest of eternity.
26.09%
Voters: 1238. You may not vote on this poll

The "I own my bike outright" poll...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 AM
middleman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The "I own my bike outright" poll...

ORIGINAL: Thongs2U

Chances are that if you have to finance your bike thru Harley Davidson or a bank selected by the dealer, you probably cannot afford it in the first place. They rake in more profit from the financing than the bike itself and you end up with a bike that has a bigger note than it's worth. Hopefully this hasn't offended anyone, but it's proven fact.
Cheers
have you ever made payments on a car?

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

I paid cash for mine.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:09 AM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own my 02 Tahoe and 05 Fatboy out right, and have some credit card debt but am taking care of it.

Now my wife still owes on her 03 Taraus (more than its worth) and doesn't have any credit card debt which was paid offwith her home sellbefore wegot married. I have about 20% equity in my house.

We make a good team though, her strengths are my weaknesses and vis versa
Jeff

Old 05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
FKNDLX
Banned

The bike is paid for but I'm still making payments...................For parts that is. To bad it wasn't the other way around, it might be cheaper.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I owe on my bike. But I own my everyday ride (2001 Nissan Pathfinder), so instead of replacing that with something 4 wheeled and newer, I "sacrifice" driving a good quality but high mileage car so I can make much smaller payments on the bike. I also could have bought the bike for cash when I sold my sports car that I owned outright, but my (soon to be ex-) wife wanted to do stuff to the house...

Old 05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: middleman

Chances are that if you have to finance your bike thru Harley Davidson or a bank selected by the dealer, you probably cannot afford it in the first place. They rake in more profit from the financing than the bike itself and you end up with a bike that has a bigger note than it's worth. Hopefully this hasn't offended anyone, but it's proven fact.
Cheers
Thats a bull#### statement. I got my loan at way less than I could get money anywhere else. Just cause someone tried to take advantage of very low interest to be able to do other things with their cash doesn't mean they can't afford a bike. I got no credit card debt, owe on nothing but my home and the Harley. Generalizations are bull dude...

Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
forkliftfixr
Advanced

My first one was my 03 Ultra Classic and I financed that one, I actually paid that one off within 2 years and then last year I paid cash for my 06 Superglide Custom. Still have them both. Wife saw me drooling over a new 07 Screaming Eagle at the Harley shop the other day and she told Amanda the motor clothes manager that I was not allowed to buy another. lol

Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Now have 2 Hot rod Baggers both built over long New England winters, and paid for each as I went along.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
middleman
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

ORIGINAL: middleman

Cheers
Thats a bull#### statement. I got my loan at way less than I could get money anywhere else. Just cause someone tried to take advantage of very low interest to be able to do other things with their cash doesn't mean they can't afford a bike. I got no credit card debt, owe on nothing but my home and the Harley. Generalizations are bull dude...
ya that's my point exactly nine11c2. My 3 other vehicles are paid for. I just built a new home. Credit card is an AMEX and paid off every month. I have no kids at the moment but will sooner or later. My wife just started working last August. I got a great promotion at work in January. I'm not waiting til i'm an old gray-hairultra classic rider before I enjoy a real scooter. I guess I don't appreciate "proven facts" like Thongs2u does.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Zattaltin
Cruiser

I had to finance mine, there is no way that I would be getting enough money to buy one outright at my age. I am only 19 and I couldn't fathom not riding. So far this year has been great and I have already put 1600 miles on my sporty. Even though payments are the greatest I wouldn't have it any other way right now I love my HD it keeps me sane.

Quick Reply: The "I own my bike outright" poll...