General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a Suzuki S40? (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM
scubachic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How about a Suzuki S40?

ORIGINAL: TampaJim

ORIGINAL: scubachic

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

For anyone considering an S40, here is one thing we did. A stock 883 muffler will basically bolt right on to it. It is no Harley sounding bike, but it looks better, and has a little volume. I think having that pipe on my wifes bike was the final straw...she had to have a Harley after that.

we may do that to mine. Thanks for the tip!
My wife's Savage had a Supertrapp slip on--sounded real bad ***. Not loud but deep and throaty. Always turned heads when she fired it up.
thanks jim, we may check that out, too.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Bluerose

OK so I need to go check out the Suzuki in the paper, and check out the S50 also, a rebel, and a Kawasaki Vulcan (500). My preference is something that will last a while but Rebels sell well so I could buy and resell if needed with no problem.

As for Sportsters … she simply does not like them. I can’t blame her because I personally found them top heavy. Honestly, she sat on a fat boy and had an easier time with just seting it upright , but she cannot afford that and she is NOT riding my Deluxe to learn on! Also if she gets something that heavy and it gets off balance its liable to squish her That was the problem with theYamaha. (Unfortunately the kawasaki is also about that weight)

I tried really hard for the Nightster which really looked like a good fit but no luck. Not my bike (ok my bike, but not my ride) so I’m not going to push. I really want her to learn how to ride…even hoping I can get the son on it a bit.

BTW with the exception of a Nightster...we are buying used. I want to not care if the bike gets dropped

Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
scubachic
2nd Gear

BTW...we found mine used...same reason. I don't want to cry when I drop it. Good luck with the search. I'm sure she will find one that you can both live with.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyosung makes a lot of Suzuki designs, you might be able to get new for the price of used. I would suggest a twin for a starter bike (like the Rebels they use in MSF), thumpers have a different feel to 'em. From what I gather in her likes/dislikes in seating position, balance of weight, and basic styling essence the perfect bike is a Moto Guzzi Nevada 750. You should be able to find a reasonable pre-owned on the MGNOC website's classifieds. You're in 883C territory for a new one. Back to Suzi's, I owned a couple a few decades ago, no less reliable than average and build quality was better then Yammies and Kaw's.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM
jca_54
Tourer

Bluerose,
Sorry to hear about your negative experience with the MSF Course.Instructors are kind of like school teachers. There are the majority who genuinely care about the students (encouragers), and the minority who want to exudeauthority (discouragers). Sounds like you encountered the latter.I've beenan MSF instructor here in Texasfor about three years and I could count the number of students I'vedismissed on one hand. Most instructors don't like to dismissstudent's andonly do soif the student becomes a danger to themselves or the rest of the class. I've never seen a student dismissed in the first hour of a class (the first few hours are classroom instruction) but I suppose it could happen. As far as the curriculum is concerned,It seems to work very well for the students that I work with. Finally, I get alot of students in the class whoplanned to ride around the neighborhood first and ended up wrecking their bike, thentaking the class. Some of them had to wait for injuries to heal before they could ride again. I'm not trying toscare you or tell you what to do, just respectfullysharing my experience with you. I have a son and daughter myself and I'm sure you want the best for your daughter. I do hope it works outsafely for you and wish you all the best.

P.S. On your daughter's bike purchase, I would suggest not getting too hung up on engine displacement and let her get what feels right to her and gives her the most confidence. Good Luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/17815/ECB98DF7D49B42258CDC387E78F4BC6C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Bluerose

As for MSF --

Yes, I took it in Simi Valley October of 05'there were 4 girls (including me) and I was the only one that finished/passed. 1 girl and 1 guy dropped within the first couple of hours, 1 girl freaked out at the figure 8 and dropped the second day, and the last girl was tall but was on a dirt type bike that was too tall for her, she failed the final because she dropped the bike on the quick stop.

There were no instructions on how to shift or anything….just quick instructions on what the exercise would be. The girl that left the second day got most of the help/attention, but she was very pretty too. A couple of folks left saying that they should hire someone to teach them before they went back.Everyone else passed but out of the 9 left 5 got over 10 points off and one guy got 20 (the cut off is 21). BTW I got 4....Iwent out side the box on the second turn and stopped2 feet past on the quick stop.

Here is the thing about the class (IMO Only!!!).

· I have taken both BRC and the ERC. I have learned a lot from them but in my experience I did not find the BRC geared toward the absolute beginner.
· I do not believe that taking the BRC makes you even close to being ready for a license. Seriously the riding test is massively tougher. Since that is all you need to get your license maybe it is not the first thing you should do.
· I would prefer she get a small bike and a learners permit. Practice in the parking lot with me and her father which have either taken the courses or have years of experience just to get going. (I taught her how to drive...too). Mostly she needs stop, go, and shift to second plus a couple of turns (one in each direction). Then when she is confident enough take the course to get her license, though on a small 250 she could probably pass the Riders test.

I figure it this way...not long ago you did not take a course to get your license. You practiced until you could make the DMV rider test. The purpose for a permit is to give you that chance to practice for up to 6 months (it takes at least 2 months to get a course around here).The purpose of the course is to help you refine those skills and break any potentially bad habits.

If I get her a bike and let her practice then take the class then she is sure she wants to ride and I am way more confident in her rushing over to get her license after the class. Sorry but 2 days in a parking lot is just not enough to convince me you deserve a license. I rode with my kids for 6 months before they got thier drivers license and I will work with them as long as they need in a parking lot to feel confident on a bike....

Like I said it’s all my opinion.

Sorry for the long rant...just seems to be a matter of contention. I am NOT saying not to take a course they are worth it for someone getting thier license...and I am also NOT saying all instuctors are the same.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:48 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following comments assume the S40 is a Savage with an idiotic name change by someover paidmarketing executives:

The Savage is a good handling, soft riding bike with big time torque on the low end. The around-town handling and ride are a notch better than the Sporty IMO. The stock seat is very poor (little support leaves you resting in a short notch, with no room to shift position). I rate the typical 250 Rebel as a 40 mph bike, the Savage as a 50 mph bike, and the Sporty as a 60+ mph bike. Those are speeds thatI wouldcomfortably cruise at length.

The stock Savage is incredibly fast up to 50 without even trying. (If you try it won't get there much faster.) The single cylinder makes a lot of torque down low--a pleasure to cruise the street. This design is an experienced classic--REMOVE a couple of parts and it is a very fast bike. Yes, both those part removals are illegal. It is a great trainer and transition to a Sporty IMO.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you not up on Suzukilingo, the S40 used to be called Savage and the S50 used to calledIntruder 800. Names were changed in 2005 along with a few cosmetic things like handlebars and seats. Both bikes were first introduced in the 1980's and have remained unchanged since. Basic, reliable and inexpensive little bikes.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:56 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Kawi 500 Vulcan is a nice bike with a bullet-proof motor. Another possibility might be the Kawi Vulcan 900. Super low seat height and low weight carriage. IMO the best looking of the Japanese cruisers.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
99superglide
Tourer

I was at the kawasaki dealer the other day getting some stuff for the fourwheeler and noticed the vulcan 900 custom. Sweet looking bike and felt fairly light for a full size bike.

Quick Reply: How about a Suzuki S40? (updated)