General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a Suzuki S40? (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: How about a Suzuki S40?

ORIGINAL: wesd41

Good, inexpensive bike to learn and grow on.

Another plus is that she likes it. If she likes it, she'll probably ride it.

Not the best bike for_______(fill in the blank). There's always someone who'll say a particular bike is notbest suited for some task. It's not the best on the freeway. It's not the best long rides. Etc. Get it anyway. If all that was said against each particular bike were taken to heart, no one would ride Sportsters (too small, uncomfortable, vibrate, top-heavy), Softtails (uncomfortable for anything but cruising main street, vibrate at high rpms), touring bikes (too heavy/slow, not good for around town cruising).

I taught a buddy of mine to ride on a Savage. A very unintimidating motorcycle for a beginner, and it looks good too. Cheap to insure.
Ahem....so that is why I don't see or hear anything about them.Definately no minced words there. Maybe she should stick witha 250 Rebel or Virago. or the Buell.

I really wish the Vstar 650 would have been ok...that was an awesome bike. Couldn't afford to keep that one and get yet another bike.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:05 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. That was a vote for the Suzi.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We just traded in my my wifes 06 S40 in for her 07883L. The S40 is a nightmare on windy days for a beginner. Otherwise, a great little bike for a beginner, or to buzz around town on. She could not be happier however with her 883L.The S40 isn't even in the same game as the 883, in her opinion. Before the S40, she had a Yamaha Maxim 550, and a Suzuki GS650. Both bikes still being ridden by people we know.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Blackmouth
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S40 isa great bike for a starter.
I think you would be fine with it if your daughter is not going to spend much time on the highway.
The highway is not a good place for it.
However, this is not usually a problem since lots of beginners usually keep off the highway anyway.

Those bringing up the Vstar 650 are on to something.
I know two people with Vstar 650's and both are very happy with them.
Both of these riders use them as commuter bikes and spend time on the highway without ill effects.
One of these two riders is arather small female and she handles the Vstar with no issues.

My $.02:
The S40 is good if your daughter is keeping off the highway.
The Vstar 650 is the way to go if there is even a decent chance she'll be spending some time on the highway.

On a side note, used Vstar 650's seem to be more available (at least in my area). So, if you're looking to avoid buying new, the Vstar might present you with better options as it seems to be a much more popular bike than the Suzuki.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Bluerose

I had a vstar 650...solid bike. That was the one she decided was too heavy to start on so I sold it.....I was sorry to see it go but it wasn't going to get riden. I used to do the 100 miles to my mom-in-laws on it

I was hoping for something light enough and low enough for her that had a bit of guts...but no luck. Really I would soooooooo be into the nightster but it's not me I have to please.

Think I'll just start looking for a rebel. It would be just enough to get around town...When she gets her confidence up I'll be able to sell it for what I bought it for and maybe go back to the VStar. She won't be able to afford a Harley for a while.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

When my wife THOUGHT she wanted to get her own bike(she's since changed her mind) I had my old V-Star 650. Good bike, I liked it really well. BUT, the wife thought it was to heavy for her liking. Sold it. Checked out the S40, and when I sat on it the tank wobbled all over the place. I wasn't very pleased with that, but understand it could have been that it just wasn't tightened down. We also checked out the 883L. By far my favorite. Well built at balanced very good. The 883L was balanced so well, it felt lighter than the rest of the bikes that were heavier. 883L was my favorite by far. What-ever you decide, have fun.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:34 AM
burzerko29
Intermediate

bluerose did you take the rider course in simi valley? I took it there about 5 years ago and everyone in my class passed but more than that they improved their skills greatly, I had some experience but other riders were pure beginners. Also my mom and sister took the course there last year and did great, and they had no idea what they were doing in regards to bikes. My dad is also thinking about bikes for my sister, shes a tall and athletic girl but still a total novice, we like you love the nightser and my sister totally digs it however were concerned about the weight. I'd be very interested to hear what route you go with your daughters bike as it would help us in our search for a bike for my sister. good luck. (push for the nightster it is sweet)

Old 05-08-2007, 07:05 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

I traded my Suzuki M 50 for an Ultra. The M 50 was 805cc and probably quicker than my Ultra. Around town it handle great, I think the weight was less than 450 lbs. The problem was on the highway it was being pushed around, but if stay off the highway it was great so my vote would be for the S40, S50 or even the M50. One more thing take a good look at the Suzuki Voulsa too. the weights on these bikes are low. Too bad you can't find a Rebel for a few months, they are always quick sellers.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would want to be certain she liked the bike before buying it. If she doesn't care for the bike she will have no where near the interest in riding it.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a used 883 low for around 3 g's. The 1200 probably does not weigh much more but the 883 sits a little lower and has more manageable power. It won' be a matter of months before she gets bored with it either.

Quick Reply: How about a Suzuki S40? (updated)