General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you be a member of HOG without one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Can you be a member of HOG without one?

As I understand it, no VIN, no membership.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnT

You have to enter a valid H-D or Buell VIN on the application. I don't know if HOG personnel actually varify that with your state's DMV or not. I doubt it. And once you're a member, it seems you can just keep renewing forever. You could probably go into a dealer, write down a VIN and join with that number if you wanted to, although why anyone would want to join HOG if they didn't own a Harley is beyond me. To be honest, I don't know why anyone WITH a Harley wants to belong to HOG.

As John T implies, you CAN be a HOG member without owning a bike. Once you're a member you can renew even after you sell it. I wouldn't worry too much about the HOG police throwing you out...Since it's H-D it's all about the money, and as long as you're willing to pony up $40 (or whatever it is now) every year for a $7 road atlas and a cheap pin they will gladly accept your kind donation.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool, now I can get a jacket, shirt, bandana, boots, glasses, jewelry,and a HOG card and I don't need a bike. WOW that just saved me thousands. HOGmember..... Poser Chapter

Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man! Some of you are really hard on HOG. I personall have been a membe for several years. I am not a member of any chapter though. I like the magazine and the road side assistance.
Phil

Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

You have to enter a valid H-D or Buell VIN on the application. I don't know if HOG personnel actually varify that with your state's DMV or not. I doubt it. And once you're a member, it seems you can just keep renewing forever. You could probably go into a dealer, write down a VIN and join with that number if you wanted to, although why anyone would want to join HOG if they didn't own a Harley is beyond me. To be honest, I don't know why anyone WITH a Harley wants to belong to HOG.

As John T implies, you CAN be a HOG member without owning a bike. Once you're a member you can renew even after you sell it. I wouldn't worry too much about the HOG police throwing you out...Since it's H-D it's all about the money, and as long as you're willing to pony up $40 (or whatever it is now) every year for a $7 road atlas and a cheap pin they will gladly accept your kind donation.
That would be incorrect information. Your full or full life membership is void as soon as you no longer own a Harley. And yes, they will eventually catch up with you.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

That would be incorrect information. Your full or full life membership is void as soon as you no longer own a Harley. And yes, they will eventually catch up with you.
How are they going to catch up to you unless someone else tries to join HOG using your old bike's VIN and their computer system red flags it? I find it hard to believe that HOG has access to DMV files in any state to comfirm your bike ownership. I can just about be certain that they don't in VA. Virginia guards their DMV files like they are top secret.

I basically agree with the others. I'd say as long as they are getting your bucks, they don't care if you sold your bike and no longer have a Harley. At any rate, who cares either way? I can't see that being kicked out of HOG would be anything to cry about.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

How are they going to catch up to you unless someone else tries to join HOG using your old bike's VIN and their computer system red flags it? I find it hard to believe that HOG has access to DMV files in any state to comfirm your bike ownership. I can just about be certain that they don't in VA. Virginia guards their DMV files like they are top secret.

I basically agree with the others. I'd say as long as they are getting your bucks, they don't care if you sold your bike and no longer have a Harley. At any rate, who cares either way? I can't see that being kicked out of HOG would be anything to cry about.
Putting aside the fact that the Hogherder called me a liar...This is getting funny. I joined HOG with an 89 Sporty that I sold in less than 6 months and HD was more than happy to renew my membership for a LONG time (till I finally woke up) under that vin #. Don't see how that makes me mistaken, but then I'm not a "hog herder".

"And yes, they will eventually catch up to you." Would that be a felony or a misdemeanor? Does it go on my Permanent Harley Record in Milwaukee? Have they teamed up with the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, DMV, EPA, or the KMFA to share information? Do you have to give back those cool patches and pins that you bought when you're apprehended? LMFAO.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Storm 4 U
Banned

Don't be a Poser snap off some cash and get a bike

Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BG Weasel

Putting aside the fact that the Hogherder called me a liar...This is getting funny. I joined HOG with an 89 Sporty that I sold in less than 6 months and HD was more than happy to renew my membership for a LONG time (till I finally woke up) under that vin #. Don't see how that makes me mistaken, but then I'm not a "hog herder".

"And yes, they will eventually catch up to you." Would that be a felony or a misdemeanor? Does it go on my Permanent Harley Record in Milwaukee? Have they teamed up with the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, DMV, EPA, or the KMFA to share information? Do you have to give back those cool patches and pins that you bought when you're apprehended? LMFAO.
Lighten up, Francis.

Show me where I used the words or term "liar".

The information about a full or full life HOG membership being void if you no longer own a Harley or a Buell is correct. If you disagree with the policy you should take it up with HOG.

While I doubt they have someone locked away in a basement in Milwaukee comparing VIN numbers with names eventually these things sort themselves out. They probably won't make you give up your patches, but then they won't give up the money you paid them over the years either.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Jock

Interesting as when we questioned it answer was "its a business I'll sell membership to anyone!"
Jock,

I really do have some swamp land in Florida we can't give away. "Caveat Craptor". Let the Buyer be aware of what he stands in.

Gotta love the bridge buyers.

ROHS

Quick Reply: Can you be a member of HOG without one?