General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusable oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Caston
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reusable oil filter

I was talking about the reusable from K & P Engineering. Check them out on the web...
www.KandPEngineering.com
I may try one. It sounds pretty good from what I've been told

Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: Unome

ORIGINAL: gman
maybe they're using something from the 50s. i can see it now, toilet paper filters for you hog.
I remember seeing those in the J. C. Whitney catalog years ago!!!
Actually, y'all are missing the boat on this one. There are still oil filtration systems that use what amounts to toilet paper as the filter media. They're in bypass systems that ultra-filter (0.1 micron - yeah, that's 1/10 of a micron) a small portion of the oil each pass. If you use one correctly chances are you'll never have to change oil as long as you own the vehicle, just add a little as the engines uses it, to replace minor leaks, and to replace the amount removed for analysis. Check this out: http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm

Look at it this way - I work in a power plant. There are guys at my plant who've been there nearly 30 years. In that 30 years the oil for the turbines has never been changed. It gets by-passed filtered, centrifuged when needed, analyzed annually. It's stiil like new.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

This months Hot Bike magazine, volume 39, no.7, 2007
Has an article in about picking up 9hp and 9tq doing nothing but changing the oil and a reusable oil filter.
Jury is still out on this one with me, I have to do a lot more investigating on this one.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Caston
Advanced

I first saw an artical in " Biker Works " magazine. It was talking about picking up 4 more horse power. I believe they were comparing using this new filter to the old one that was dirty. Anything will run better with cleaner oil. Plus, I believe the oil filter from K & P Engineering lets more volume of oil pass through the openings. More oil with less restriction and cleaner oil helped pick up the horses. It still sounds like a good filter. I had thought about buying an extra screen and when it's time to clean one, I can leave it in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I just checked it out,and have to agree it does sound like a great idea.The problem I have is,the expense,time it would take to clean it properly,what to clean it with,and where to dispose of the mess.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 AM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The article in Hot Bike claimed it had a 9 hp and tq jump with only a oil and filter change.
The website is
http://www.gopurepower.com/

I was curious about this and it says on the site that it does not make more hp and tq it just frees up hp from the "parasitic drag created by the choked up oil pump and filter" (one of the article)
Both articles claimed thats all they did was change the oil and filter. Hot Bike and Street Chopper magazines.

I'm not saying its a magic bullet but at least worth someone more knowledgeable than I looking into.
Jeff

Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

checked the KandP website they claim 35 micron filtration. I believe that most filters claim 10 microns. The HD filters claim 5 micron.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

I've used one on my Suzuki dual-sport when I rode down to South America. I didn't want to worry about finding oil filters on my trip or carrying half a dozen spares with me. While the filters work well cleaning them is a pain in the butt and replacement filters are so relatively cheap that I went back to using normal filter when I returned.

-Hugh

Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Zattaltin
Cruiser

My quad had one of these on it and I didn't like the idea of it, I could never get it clean enough to my standards. When it comes to the oil and what not it has to be perfect because the oil goes through the whole engine. Right now I think I am going to stay with the classic, it has worked great for how many years already why change it now. Who knows maybe someday i will change it up.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Pococj,your right about the bypass filter system,the problem is where to put it on a motorcycle where it is not in the way of things.You did though get the juices flowing as to where it might go on the bagger.We have one on our pickup truck.

Quick Reply: Reusable oil filter