General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the fastest you've gone on a harley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007 | 03:50 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what's the fastest you've gone on a harley?

whoops

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:07 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: timdow

If I wanted to go fast, I woulda kept my ZX-11 (155 MPH). Only been 85 MPH on the WideGlide, and don't intend to go much faster.
Good point!

Unless you realize that even 85mph is fast compared to almost every othermode of travel.

You're not saying that tinkering with something to go faster than it did when it rolled off the assembly line is a bad thing, are you?

Thru the years, if it wasn't for tinkering with the moco delivered product and the resulting speed records, endurance records, hill climbs and such, you won't even be able to buy a Harley. Because they would have fallen by the wayside. Check outMotorcycle history your self.

Even your past bike the ZX-11 at 155mph is greatly improved with tinkering.
Are you saying that 155 was good enough and no one should tinker with that bike either.
Fact is, if it wasn't for tinkering, that bike would have never done 155.

Rent the movie, Fastest Indian.
But then again, I guess he could have been a pilot instead.
Because plane go faster, and
a 1920 45ci Indian Scout should NEVER go 200mph.

chappy

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:14 AM
LittleBsMomma
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden at 95-100 once and will never do it again. Like others, I just wanted to try it once and it was more scary than fun I keep it at around 65-70 unless needing to pass more than 1 vehicle on a short passing stretch, then try to keep it under 80.

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:25 AM
chattigre
|
Advanced

holy crapthere's a lot of speed freakmaniacs in here!!! LOL. i know, i'm the one who asked in the first place. gotta say though, pretty impressed with some of the numbers being recorded. i've been in the 140+ territory before as well, but that was on the R1 anda couple times in the beemer. i can't even imagine what it must be like on a harley. that's gotta be turbulence HELL...

i still haven't gotten the dyna up to 100 yet, but i'm sure i will eventually once the rightopportunity presents itself. (long straightaway, infinite visibilityand absolutely NO traffic of any kind). the nightster's still in the break-in process, so it hasn't seen anything above 65 yet.

it's staggering to realize how powerful the modern day motorcycle is, especially japanese literbikes. maybe 1% of the total number of people who ride motorcycles are actually able to take a literbike to its performance limit. i've got a decent number of miles in, but compared to the top pros, my riding the R1 is like a monkey trying to play a stratavarius violin, however it's spelled.

a client of mine, a millionaire ex-pro athlete, is a motorcycle junkie, and this is a guy with a family and a lot to lose...and he's ridden one of his bikes up to 176 mph. on a city street. the only way i could get within spitting distance of that kind of speed is on a track.

be safe out there you people!

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:37 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Monzie

I guess i'm old enough to not have the need for major speed. Max on the Harley so far is 80-85mph.
I hear you there. With no windshield and some buffeting, I generally don't go above 70 or 75 for sustained speed (depending on the headwind), and the occasional 80 or so to pass, but I wouldn't want to keep it there for too long.

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:49 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: chattigre

holy crapthere's a lot of speed freakmaniacs in here!!! LOL. i know, i'm the one who asked in the first place. gotta say though, pretty impressed with some of the numbers being recorded. i've been in the 140+ territory before as well, but that was on the R1 anda couple times in the beemer. i can't even imagine what it must be like on a harley. that's gotta be turbulence HELL...

i still haven't gotten the dyna up to 100 yet, but i'm sure i will eventually once the rightopportunity presents itself. (long straightaway, infinite visibilityand absolutely NO traffic of any kind). the nightster's still in the break-in process, so it hasn't seen anything above 65 yet.

it's staggering to realize how powerful the modern day motorcycle is, especially japanese literbikes. maybe 1% of the total number of people who ride motorcycles are actually able to take a literbike to its performance limit. i've got a decent number of miles in, but compared to the top pros, my riding the R1 is like a monkey trying to play a stratavarius violin, however it's spelled.

a client of mine, a millionaire ex-pro athlete, is a motorcycle junkie, and this is a guy with a family and a lot to lose...and he's ridden one of his bikes up to 176 mph. on a city street. the only way i could get within spitting distance of that kind of speed is on a track.

be safe out there you people!
Hi chattigre,

I don't ridethe edge as a rule. It's nice to knowit's there though!
Once in a while I'll bring the Heritage Springer or the Ultra onthe straight hi-way and get the cobb webs off, but I really don't want to lose my licence or pay extra insurance or even, God Forbid, lose my life. I plan on riding for many more years to come. I've never had the opportunity to ride on a track. And I haven't spent the money on a Dyno. So I don't have a sheet to show the numbers. All I have are memoriesof glossy eyes and white knuckles.

Have fun and be safe
chappy

Old 05-08-2007 | 08:23 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Been just over 100 mph, like 102 ish. Saw the speedo and slowed down. I have cruised with the ol' lady at 90-92 mph last year on a ride to Grants. I feel more comfortable two up at that speed. More weight on the bike. Plus I have this really comfy pillow back rest.Sometimes,I wishI could take that backrest w/out the wife attached to them.

Old 05-08-2007 | 08:55 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the things I alwayscheck with a new build isto make sure the throttle plate is full open when the throttle is on the stop.

Old 05-08-2007 | 09:26 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior

I've been up to 85 with plenty to spare. Don't feel compelled to light the afterburners though. Did plenty of 100+ stuff back in the day aboard my Jap bikes. Got that out of my system a long time ago. But. that doesn't mean I won't see triple digits again at any time the mood strikes.

Old 05-08-2007 | 09:52 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Been up to 100 on the Sporty, 120 on a Yamaha 650 Maxim.

Quick Reply: what's the fastest you've gone on a harley?