General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schuberth J1 - Maybe the perfect 3/4 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Schuberth J1 - Maybe the perfect 3/4 helmet

I have been in search for the perfect helmet. I like the added safety of a full face and have a Shoei RF-1000 and a HJC Sy-max (flip front). However, I don't like the weight or the restricted vision. I also have a 1/2 helmet that is light, has great visibility (of course) but is probably not going to be of much help if/when I go down. I like the visibility and ear protection of a 3/4, but without the chin protection, why bother.

I saw a review of the Schuberth J1 on Web Bike World and thought it might be the ticket. However, it is not sold in the US. Trying to buy from the UK with the exchange rate is a raw deal, so I bought it from a company in Germany (off Ebay) for much less than buying from the UK. It was an excellent transaction and the helmet arrived in perfect condition.

Bottom Line: It is a fantastic helmet. Very light and quieter than my HJC Sy-Max or full-face Shoei RF-1000 with the visibility of a 1/2 helmet.

Positive Points:
Very light and comfortable.
Visibility is excellent. The visor is clear and never fogsup (my Shoei is BAD at fogging). It stays in position.
The helmet is very stable at highway speeds.
The venting works very well.
The flip down dark sun visor is very handy and works well.
Fit and finish is as good as I have seen on any helmet.
With the chin guard in place the helmet is snug and comfortable.

Negative Points:
Price. It's expensive. A little under $500 including shipping from Germany.
It's not DOT approved. However, it conforms to the European ECE-R 22.05 standard. It's a safe helmet.

So, far, it's the best money I have spent on a helmet. I have finally found a one with most of the benefits of a full face but also allows for much more visibility.

I got the one in gloss black.

Highly recommended... if you're the helmet wearing type!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: Schuberth J1 - Maybe the perfect 3/4 helmet

If those were sold in the US I'd make buying one a priority...

Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks like a sweet helmet, but no DOT for almost 500 bones? For that kind of dough I'd think they could get them DOT for the states. Nice lid though.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've admired the helmet for a long time. I think it's a great design. I don't think that makes it worth that much money. My Nolan is less than half the price and with the flip up chin bar it is just as convennient to use.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

Have been admiring that helmet for over a year. Contacted Schuberth and was told they have no plans to sell it in the US. No reason was given so I'm wondering it there is a liability problem or a DOT problem.

Found the Brit site a while back but the price came to over $700 with freight. Way too much for a helmet I haven't tried on.

I keep hoping one of the mainstream suppliers like HJC or Nolan will pick up the idea and market something more affordable.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're a bit too small of volume to make a serious dent in the US market. Lesser featured Schuberth's you can find at some BMW stores, but they're not cheap and the dealers don't sell enough of them. I've posted the helmets I carry on this forum numerous times, I'm still waiting for advertising rates to see if I could budget a sponsorship on this. The other brands you listed are carried by a giant distribution company that makes it very difficult for others to compete in the marketplace. PM me if you are serious about an alternative helmet.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I also have a flip front, but it is doesn't have nearly the visibility or as quiet as the J1. It is expensive, but very well designed.