General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 PM
azrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed

We went down to Tucson for the State H.O.G rally last week. We went down a day early as Tucson is my home town and we wanted to do a few things before the rally started.

On Thursday we were on our way to the sign for the rally, heading west on Grant approaching Campbell when I noticed the car in front of me move to the right of our lane as the car facing him in the left turn lane started to move. I immediately moved to the far right of the lane so the car in the oncoming turn lane could see me also and eased off the gas a bit, just in case. As we entered the intersection the oncoming car decided to go ahead and make his turn. I locked up the brakes and immediately went left to try and avoid the car. Unfortunately when the front wheel of the bike snapped left I released the brakes and high sided the bike. We did not hit the other car, but both my wife (my passenger) and myself were thrown from the bike.

My wife ended up with a dislocated/fractured right elbow that required surgery and replacement the piece that holds the radial head in the socket I ended up with a separated right shoulder, a fracture of the right elbow and 5 fractured ribs on the right side. I spent one night in the hospital and my wife ended up spending 2.

I keep replaying the accident and looking to figure what I could have done differently, other than not high siding the bike, that may have changed the outcome. One thing I know for sure that I will be doing is taking both the beginner and advanced riding courses once the healing is done and the bike is repaired. I think my wife will resume riding again, but that is something she will have to decide for herself once she is healed. The main thing that both of us have kept saying since the accident is “It could have been so much worse”.

So far from the pics that my son-in-law and daughter took of the bike, it seems to be mostly just scratches and scrapes to the bike. And yes both helmets have scratches and dings on them.

Thanks for letting me make such a long post. It helped to write it all down and use this as a way to sort thing out.

Oh and University Medical Center in Tucson is fantastic...they evenmade special arrangements to make sure my wife and I were in the same room.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Crashed

Mark, I'm sorry you had the accident but I'm glad that you and your wife will end up being o.k.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - something like that is bound to shake you up...

Sounds like you locked the front brake in a panic. Once you're up to it maybe some practice with emergency braking would help you feel more confident.

Although it sounds like you both sustained some injuries it could have been worse so glad you're ok and here to talk about it.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,878 Likes on 812 Posts

Glad you're both still alive.

Did the the sh*tbag in the cage at least stop after causing you to go down?

Take care.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think that you are dead on with taking MSF courses. I took the beginner's course and just the emergency braking and swerving is worth the time to take the class. I am glad that you and the wife are alright. Don't even worry about the bike yet, just get healed up.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to my attorney, if the party causing the accident did not stop, and / or admit their guilt in causing the accident, then there is nothing that can really be done, either suing or medical payments wise.

It is a shame, but in reality, it is better togo ahead andhit the offending vehicle so that actual fault can be determined.

I know, as a similar incident happened to me. In my case, the woman admitted in the Police Reportto not looking prior to making the turn, and causing me to wreck in avoiding her. Her Insurance Agency refused any blame in the accident since I did not ramtheir client's vehicle. Obviously they did not know that the woman driver admitted her guilt in the report.Lawsuit in the works.

Sorry to hear of the injuries to both of you. God Speed in your recoveries. Do not let this affect your future biking plans.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:22 PM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member

T.M.C. Is a great hospital They have put me back togather more than once.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear that, but I am glad that you and your wife will recover. That is the most important thing. That is a bad intersection, and Grant Rd is just bad.The lagging left turn arrow would have been on for him in just a few more seconds . [:@]Whenever I encounter a car waiting to turn left (which is very often), I start flashing my headlights from low to high. Doing this also flashes the passing lamps on and off. So far, all I've gotten are some dirty looks, and an occasional rude gesture from the drivers.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you both survived to talk about it.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you're both relatively OK. I spend a lot of time in Tucson, and E. Grant is a very congested street. I've seen some horrible accidents on that street involving cars,bikes and pedestrians. I used to work at TMC (Outside contractor) and still hold a contract withthe U of A Medical Center. Both are class outfitsIMO

Good luck to you both and heal fast!

Quick Reply: Crashed