General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary covers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:21 PM
astro929
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default primary covers?

hey guys, im new to harley, i just traded my ducati in on a 2001 sportster, i have had enough of the sport bike thing, we just rode 250 miles and nothing herts today. i had a question, i was wanting to crome the primary covers and the other side as well when i ran across those covers that go over the ones already on the bike, the price is good and the idea sounds great but what do these things really look like? i dont want it to look like i just said , i dont really care what it looks like. i do want it to look nice. any help on this would be great

Old 09-23-2005, 08:33 PM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: primary covers?

Hi Sean

I can't imagine something the "goes over" your existing primary cover. There are many chrome replacements out there, and my guess is, you'll be happier with one of them. Maybe one of the other members has an idea. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

ORIGINAL: astro929

hey guys, im new to harley, i just traded my ducati in on a 2001 sportster, i have had enough of the sport bike thing, we just rode 250 miles and nothing herts today. i had a question, i was wanting to crome the primary covers and the other side as well when i ran across those covers that go over the ones already on the bike, the price is good and the idea sounds great but what do these things really look like? i dont want it to look like i just said , i dont really care what it looks like. i do want it to look nice. any help on this would be great

[IMG]local://upfiles/718/012591BE3A57472DB118D155FF6E8A3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

It all depends on your taste and budget. I looked into the cover kit that you speak of, it was ok but not what I wanted, looks ok but you can tell its a cover due to the lack of exposed bolts and such.

I went with new cases(and various other items) on mine but it was not exactly low cost.

I think HD has a chrome engine kit for your bike that runs around $1200.00 or so for parts, probably another $600.00 or so in labor to install.

Good luck with the bike.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 PM
astro929
Novice

thanks , man thats about the nicest sportster ive seen yet. dose anyone have any good aftermarket co that make the real ones, not the ones i was talking about. i just want to make sure i dont get junk.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:35 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

on my o3 RK i added the kuryaken inner primary cover. unless you were looking real close, it looked very nice. it was only about 80 bucks and i put it on myself in about 15 mins. it bolted on under the existing primary bolts. i heard,and i could have been given bad advice, but i was told that the full chrome primarys have a tendancy to leak. thats why i chose to go the other rout, in addition to the dollars. i do not know if kuryaken makes an inner for the sporty.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:58 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

A cover is a cover is a cover is a cover .... Someone who knows bikes will spot it. If you're set on chrome, get yours plated during your winter lay-up, if you have one. Or do the chrome exchange deal with a shop.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Astro- thanks for the kind words, check out mikeisglidens sporty- another fine looking bike.

SE- Newer sportys don't have an inner primary, as far as I know the crankcase and transmission share a split case and have the cam cover on one side and a primary cover on the other.

All chrome used as a sealing surface will have a higher potential to leak, the cure is to resurface and remove just the chrome on the sealing surface.

I have zero leaks on mine thus far, but then again due to time constraints I had the work done on mine. I also enjoy the no leak guarantee for the next 90 days.

One other concern I had with the covers was that they are not a tight seal over the original parts, I would think that moisture, dirt and other gremlins could and would find their way under the cover creating problems with the aluminum being covered. Food for thought if you ever plan on removing said covers.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:21 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

This is a picture of my wife's old Sportie. When they pulled the engine down to add the 1200 kit they added the chrome covers and had the barrels and heads polished. Also put on new tin and did the paint. The bike had Bub's exhaust, but when we put on the forward controls, the Bub's wouldn't fit. Put the stock back on until the Pythons came in.

She rode it for a year, then wanted a bigger scoot, she is now on an 04 Nightrain. Couldn't part with her Sport, so we leave it at our Arizona house, along with my Jap, excuese me, metric "Harleyzuki"

[IMG]local://upfiles/3757/A18FA1221D074354A985F494BBCC3122.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2005, 03:24 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ok ill fess up my timing cover is a cover over a cover.......sue me!! got the primary cover off ebay 127 bucks and it was spotless.