General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI Wiley X glasses at Wal-Mart

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:33 AM
daveswoodcraft
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FYI Wiley X glasses at Wal-Mart

Hi
I have been looking at getting a pair of riding glasses and yesterday while stopped at Wally World to get a couple of home essentials I walked by the Optometry department and to my surprise I found they carry a whole bunch of Willey X glasses both prescription and regular sunglasses.
I had priced them out earlier in the week online but was hesitant to order prescription glasses online. These priced out the same as online with in a couple of bucks.

Just a heads up for anybody thinking about it.
Dave

Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to know .I am looking for another pair . Thanks

Old 10-29-2015, 04:25 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

I got my prescription placed in a pair of Liberty Sport at the local Wally Optical shop, even had the bifocal added.
Be carefull, I wasn't happy with the glasses when I first got them, there was some significant distortion on the outside of the left lense,,
,I brought'm back and they re-did the lens under the warranty and they came back just fine.
No problem beyond that,, just don't accept sub standard just for cost savings.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

I bought a pair of Wiley X prescription riding glasses there for 128 a few months back. I love them.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny. I just did the same thing. Needing a new pair I just happed by their optical center an saw a Wiley X display. Great prices. Have my appointment set now.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by daveswoodcraft
Hi
I have been looking at getting a pair of riding glasses and yesterday while stopped at Wally World to get a couple of home essentials I walked by the Optometry department and to my surprise I found they carry a whole bunch of Willey X glasses both prescription and regular sunglasses.
I had priced them out earlier in the week online but was hesitant to order prescription glasses online. These priced out the same as online with in a couple of bucks.
Depending on how your optometrist places the order, pricing on the frames should be a little cheaper through Wiley-X. I just bought a pair of "Tide" style, which are brand new for the 2016 release-year, and learned a couple of things about script sunglasses. One, Wiley-X's lab is excellent according to the young lady taking my order, and confirmed by me personally since wearing them over the last couple weeks or so.

Two, most of the higher-end script sunglasses makers highly recommend a patented, licensed process called "Digital Surfacing Technology," and Wiley-X is a licensed vendor of that process. You can read about what it does here. If you're just buying frames from your optometrist and they're sending those frames out to the local lab that they normally use to grind your prescription, there's a good chance that process won't be available. It wasn't available through the local lab my doc uses, and that was the clincher for why I went through Wiley-X's lab.

Three, if you go through Wiley-X's lab, the frames should be a little cheaper because they'll just pull a blank frame off the shelf (with no lenses in it), whereas, if it's something you pick out from your optometrist's inventory, they've already paid for the non-script lenses that they'll just throw away once your new script gets installed in them. My glasses were around $24 bucks cheaper because my doc didn't try to sell me the frames he had in stock, and instead just used those frames for fitment to my face and faxed the order directly to Wiley-X. A week's worth of business days later, I had my new glasses.

Chances are your optometrist's office can order direct from Wiley-X quite a bit cheaper than you, as a private party, could get them for yourself. Might want to check on that anyway, but otherwise, I found their lab to be quite proficient at getting my script right and can't think of any reason why you should be nervous about going through them to order, whether "through them" means the order originates at your computer or your doc's fax machine.

Blues

Last edited by BluesStringer; 10-29-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:43 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see any way of ordering just frames or frames with prescription lenses direct from WileyX unless you are military. I got mine several years ago through my optometrist, and yeah, I had to buy the lenses they came with too. Live and learn.

I may check Wally World to see what they would run me with a single vision lens, but man I don't like walking in that place. Otherwise, I have found that the SportRX web site is the best place to get WileyX lenses or complete prescription sets. The $128 price the other poster got his for at WalMart is by far the best price I have ever heard of for WileyX scrip glasses though. That can't include transition lenses though I don't believe.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:42 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

128 dollars is a great price . My wiley x Jakes cost $350 for prescription sunglasses. I will check out Walmart because I would like clear prescription lens for night riding .

Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

The Sun Glass Hut carries H-D as well.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm on my second pair of Liberty Sports from Wal Mart. This second pair has the removable foam that makes cleaning them a lot easier. Total cost was $238, which was for the frame and trifocal progressive lenses, tinted as dark as possible.

Having foam backed riding glasses ranks right up there next to heated gear as the best investment I've made in 45 years of riding.

Quick Reply: FYI Wiley X glasses at Wal-Mart