General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prescription glasses while riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM
RoadKing_Bob
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been using my prescription glasses about 75% of the time, on long rides I'll use the contacts and a good pair of sunglasses witht the foam padding to stop the wind, but with the glaasses I use slip-on's, but you better have a windshield or they will blow off.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Dobietrainer
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to mention when I pick out new glasses I always take my helmet with me and make sure the glasses will slide in my full face helmet.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 327 Likes on 209 Posts

I wear prescription glasses while riding. I mostly wear my prescription sunglasses but for riding at night I wear my every day transitional lenses.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:57 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobietrainer
Wear them with a full face helmet. No problem.
Me, too.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:59 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,790 Likes on 3,577 Posts

If you want some inexpensive glasses to wear on the road, you can get the older military-issue brown or current issue black BCG's- with lenses- for $49 and $69 from a place called Frame of Choice

They're not the most stylish glasses you can find, but they are very sturdy (I'm still wearing a pair of brown ones I was issued in '86) and not a huge expense to repair or replace if they get damaged. The newer black ones have optional clip-on sunglass lenses as well, if that's an issue.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I use wiley x prescription sun glasses with the foam insert with half helmet . Full face helmet if and when I use my regular glasses because it has shield and flip down sun shade .I am planning on getting wiley x made for night no tint .I need the foam inserts and like the protection . I also use the strap to pull them tight like googles other wise with my softail I get some buffeting on highway.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by John S
If you want some inexpensive glasses to wear on the road, you can get the older military-issue brown or current issue black BCG's- with lenses- for $49 and $69 from a place called Frame of Choice

They're not the most stylish glasses you can find, but they are very sturdy (I'm still wearing a pair of brown ones I was issued in '86) and not a huge expense to repair or replace if they get damaged. The newer black ones have optional clip-on sunglass lenses as well, if that's an issue.
Oh my God, ugliest glasses ever. When women wore them, we called them RPG's.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 PM
John S
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
Oh my God, ugliest glasses ever. When women wore them, we called them RPG's.
Hahaha- that's right, they're awful- especially the brown ones like mine. I justify it by telling myself that only badasses can wear them and get away with it

Old 10-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by John S
Hahaha- that's right, they're awful- especially the brown ones like mine. I justify it by telling myself that only badasses can wear them and get away with it
So why do you keep wearing them then?

Old 10-28-2015, 05:27 PM
John S
Club Member

Originally Posted by rwhisen
So why do you keep wearing them then?
I've got bifocals from a few years back (the ones I'm wearing in my icon photo- John Lennons), but my eyes have changed AGAIN and my prescription seems to have reverted back to the 80's and I can see nearly perfectly with my BCG's for desk work and such. I still use my newer ones for driving and for when I don't really want to look like a dork, though. I've got another eye appointment coming up and I'll get new ones, but I'll probably order another pair of BCG's to keep as a reliable- and inexpensive- spare.

Quick Reply: prescription glasses while riding