General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat on turnpike at 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
nessus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flat on turnpike at 80 mph

this was a tube tire also

Old 05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to hear you and the significant other were okay and that the local HD dealership treated you like you would expect. Good deal all around. The tire still had the original tread and the only damage seems to be the sidewall, it looks like a bead failure of some sort from the pictures. Since the tire was only 2 days old, it would be worth the trip back to the shop that sold you the Metz and show them the pictures and tell them what happened.

There may be nothing they're willing to do (surprise, surprise) but you never know. If they're a stand up shop, you never know. Let us know what they're willing to do, if anything.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
dsuppa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nessus

Was scooting up the nj turnpike yesterday from Baltimore to attend the freedom run to ground zero.Was around exit 10 in the fast lane doing 80 when the bike started wiggling and then was kinda crabbing in a matter of about 15 seconds.tapped my helmet a few times to let my buddies know I had to stop.went across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the side of the road.oh yea had the ol on the back.Turned out the rear tire was flat.I sent my buddies on to the ride as there was really nothing they could do(they had an awsome time btw)called Hog and the towtruck arrived in half an hour.while I was waiting I called Edison HD as I knew they were near by.Those guys were awsome.As soon as I arrived the took the bike right in.Somone asked whose bike is next and they said that one, they are traveling.Had them point us to a diner while we waited.turns out the tire was smoked.brand new metzler ruined.I had them put on a pair of dunlops so the tread pattern would match and headed back to baltimore.Oh well theres always next year.

Glad it worked out for and Harley of Edison is a great dealership, that's where I always go(only about 10 minutes from my house), they are all very helpful and reasonably priced there, plus they have cookouts and parties pretty much every Saturday over the summer. More dealerships should be like them.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those pic's look like installation damage.