General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA DMV skills test- MSF UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 04:23 PM
ecvjohn
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA DMV skills test- MSF UPDATE

I went to take the skills test today, all did not go well. The test consists of weaving through cones for 40 feet or so, then you must stay inside a 20' diameter circle for two loops, then weave through the cones again. Then you ride straight for the same 40' or so inside lines that are about 12" apart heading back to the dreaded loop,but this time you get to do two loops in the other direction, then ride the 40' or so between the aformentioned lines back to the finish.

If you stall, fall, go outside the lines or put a foot down at any time from start to finish, you fail. My bike did not want to go two loops at such a slow speed. I had to put a foot down on the second time around or let the bike fall. The other other option was to throttle up a bit and go outside the lines, either way I sucked.

I find exactly no corrolation between this test and actual riding on the road. I guess I'll call the CHP and sign up for the basic rider course so I don't have to redo this test. Funny, twenty years of riding road and dirt bikes and I guess I'm still a beginner.

The best part is that if I was riding a full fairing bagger all I would of had to do was circle the lot to pass, apparantly they are not nimble enough to go through the regular test course, so I was told. The guy before me did just that and the guy was passed.

Well I'm off to go do circles in small obscure places. Oh and I'm not mad at all, I just think they should have a better test set up for various kinds of bikes.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:06 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Default RE: CA DMV skills test

ecvjohn, keep your chin up!! I have been riding for 30+ years (dirt bikes, street bikes, etc.) and only due to a mis keypunch by the licensing bureau several years ago (removed my M from my license) I had the choice to either take the skills test or spend a few bucks and take the state and MSF sponsored course. I chose the latter and it was well worth it as I found out I was doing many things incorrectly and now I can drive slowly around cones, parked cars, through pedestrians, etc. without having to worry about putting my foot down or dropping the bike. (as long as I let it warm up first...)

Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

John,

I and 2 of my sons took the test. I told them that if the tester comes out grumbling, no matter how well you do, you will fail. If they come out with a cup of coffee smiling, you will pass. I took the test on a '91 Softail Springer with 16" apes, #1 on his Softail Standard, and #2 on a hardtail custom with a 240 rear tire. We all passed. Wife tried twice, once on her Sportie, the second time on a 250 Rebel we borrowed from a neighbor. Her lady tester was in a foul mood. She signed up for the 'accelerated CHP course (800 CCRIDER) and passed with flying colors.

Good Luck, don't let the Cal DMV get you down, we know what a piece of crap bureau they are. You don't really know what a joke they are until you deal with another state. Arizona DOT is a pleasure to work with. Never waited more than 20 minutes for anything.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Thanks TX, I'm not down at all and I'm signing up for the rider course as soon as someone answers the phone.

I just wish I'd have signed up when I bought the bike instead of waiting a month to take this test today,then I'd be done already.

Only real trouble I had was the loops as stated above. My big mistake was thinking the circle was 25' diameter so thats what I practiced for, DMV does not give any info as to their skills test except that there is one.

That five feet sure kicked me in the shorts.

At least I can still ride until this is all done, so all is not lost.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:44 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't worry about it. I failed my first time in CA. Same portion as you. That circle looks mighty small as you approach it. Took the MSF course and went back and it was a piece of cake. My understanding now is that once you pass certain safety courses you can bypass the dmv test. One other thing, make sure your bike is warmed up. It's a pita with the choke on.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....or just go rent an Ultra and go in for the test.

Steve

Old 09-24-2005, 03:01 AM
pointswhat
Road Captain

LOL I was just going to suggest that!

Old 09-24-2005, 03:21 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yep practice with an ultra and eveything else is a piece of cake!!

Old 09-24-2005, 03:40 PM
slowhand
Cruiser

Sounds like a tough test. When I got my motorcycle endorsement in CA many years ago, all you had to do was take the written test to get your full endorsement. There was no riding test. Arizona now has the same requirements but my endorsement transferred over so I didn't have to do it then either. Good luck with the safety course. Everyone seems to recommend it and I may do it myself sometime just to check to see if I am doing somethin wrong.

jason

Old 09-26-2005, 07:22 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Well I'm signed up for the MSF course for this weekend. They sure have strange hours though, Fri 6-9pm, Sat 12:30-9pm and Sun 12:30-5pm.
I'm sure it will be well worth the cost and I should learn some new things.

Once again I'm off to ride in small obscure circles until I can get it right,I'm kind of stubborn that way,LOL.

Quick Reply: CA DMV skills test- MSF UPDATE