General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need quieter pipes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015 | 10:11 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

Good start to a difficult problem. Wind noise is just as bad as any from an engine.

Old 10-25-2015 | 10:21 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by fireman9513
i had rush slip ons on my Heritage and found that when I wore a full face or 3/4 helment the drone of the mufflers was uncomfortable but with my half helment they didnt bother me.
I have since replaced my entire exhaust with a cobra 2 into 1 and it is a deeper yet louder exhaust and the same thing, half helment no problem, 3/4 or full and its unbareable.
seems that the helment just aplifies the sound.
If you know some one that has a half helment you could try then try it and see if you have the same results.
I agree with this. When I tried a full face the noise was so unbearable that if there was a law requiring me to wear one I would quit riding. I have rode over 50 years without a helmet except when required by law and the only time noise ever bothered me was with 3/4 or full face helmets.

Last edited by perki48; 10-25-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-25-2015 | 10:59 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

I put s&s slip ons on mine, could not stand the racket. Went back to stock, happy now.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:10 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to put the stockers back on and see what they're like. Trying to remove the Shack pipes, what's the trick? Because the connection to the exhaust rail is preventing me from sliding them off.
You have to loosen the header pipe... At the flange on the cylinder head.

Then you can sort of move the muff off of the equalizer/mount.

Now, you want performance? Most loud pipes actually detract from low to mid-range performance... This is a fact. And this is exactly where most Harley riders want added performance.

Now, myself I have installed Screamin' Eagle slip-ons. On my Sportster, they are substantially louder than stock, while still retaining all the low to mid-range.

However, these muffs are not loud at all. Where I live, I have many people close by that I presume don't care much at all for potato potato. So, I try to accommodate.

If I lived in the country, I would run different muffs.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:11 AM
alienbogey
Cruiser

I tried Rush slip ons on my Sporty and they were too loud for my taste. I'm back to stock for now, although I'd like to find a 2 into 1 that isn't much louder than stock.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:12 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought my first bike 3 months ago, 07 Sportster XL1200. When I was shopping bikes, I didn't want one with loud pipes. The bike I ended up buying has Cycle Shack MXL 130SS slip-ons, but the bike came with the factory pipes as well, so I figured I could swap if I wanted to.

The Cycle Shack pipes sound great, nice deep Harley sound. I figured I'd leave it as is. Unfortunately it's affecting my ears. In 3 months I've ridden 3,000 miles, much of this commuting 2 days per week, 110 mi round trip. Much of the ride is 55-70mph. Even with a FF helmet and foam ear plugs rated for NRR 33dB, after my 75 minute ride to or from work, my ears are ringing, or otherwise just not right, for several hours. The bass drone of the pipes is just too much.

The bike has a Big Sucker air intake. Coupled with the aftermarket pipes, I'm pretty certain some kind of reprogramming had to be done. Going back to stock pipes means that would have to be redone, right? I also have no idea what I'll lose in terms of performance.

If there is a slip-on option that's moderately louder than stock, with improved performance, but no so ear splitting, that would certainly be worth looking out.

Well this is my dilemma. Suggestions please.

A very simple way that I found that takes care of loud pipes is that I wear earplugs and also a 3/4 helmet. Some people might not know this but most of my ear issues have been caused by the wind hitting my ears as I ride more than the sound of my pipes, just a thought.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:13 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser

Oh, there's also a clamp halfway down the rear header pipe that'll have to be loosened also.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:18 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

The Screamin Eagle slip ons are a bit louder than stock and deeper but way quieter than almost anything else aftermarket. A good compromise if you find that the stockers are too quiet for you.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:32 AM
Bluesrider.df
|
Grand HDF Member

OK folks, the Cycle Shacks are off! I can't put the stockers back on until I get some gaskets and a couple bolts. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have all that and be able to give it a whirl. Thanks all!

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:38 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser

OK folks, the Cycle Shacks are off! I can't put the stockers back on until I get some gaskets and a couple bolts. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have all that and be able to give it a whirl. Thanks all!
Just for kicks, you should take it out for a spin running just the straight pipes!

Quick Reply: I need quieter pipes!