General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about getting a used Harley Road King

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015 | 10:32 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Let's go back to the logic here...

If you can only afford a $7,000 bike, and you want a Harley-Davidson, and you want ABS for all the right reasons, you can't have a Road King.

If you can only afford a $7,000 bike and you want a Road King, then you already know you can't have ABS, so buy it.

If you understand why having ABS is so important, and you can afford more than a $7,000 bike, then I don't understand why you're asking for input on a bike with no ABS.

Personally, I rode for years on bikes with no ABS, and I'm still alive. On the other hand, one of the reasons I traded in my FXDC on a new Road Glide Special was because I will no longer ride without ABS.

Your decision.

... and why I bought a new RK with ABS, its a must have for me. (ps, if another bike in my future (big if), im kind of liking those new RGs! looks good.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 10-25-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2015 | 10:54 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stiggy
The problem with ABS is that it allows newer riders the pass on never learning a very important skill set - How to safely stop a big bike without ABS. (Kinda' like what GPS has done to map reading.)

You clearly don't have that braking skill developed (otherwise why would you post?) so in your case I would say pass on the Road King and get a smaller bike to learn on first.

Or...
Riders can use ABS to develop braking skills.
What's wrong with practicing hard braking with ABS?
When hard braking reaches the limit of traction the rider will feel the ABS cut in and know that's about it. Beats the heck out of dumping the bike with standard brakes when the limit of traction occurs.
Most riders with standard brakes never get close to the limit even in an emergency situation "cause they don't know where it is.
Bad things happen when that front wheel stops turning and they can happen too fast to deal with.
Skills developed safely with ABS can be used on non ABS bikes.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:01 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

ABS is absolutely a great training tool (with reduced risk) for threshold braking.

Old 10-25-2015 | 12:06 PM
Brytam
|
Advanced

Thanks for the input, guys!
A lot of wisdom here!
...Helping me to "see the light"!

Old 10-25-2015 | 12:21 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gus4440
If you mean me at 57 , I started riding off road at 10, got my license at 15 and have been riding safely ever since.
Why would I be directing this at you? You didn't start the post.

The (relatively,) new guy asked if he should buy a bike based on whether if had ABS or not. That indicates a level of experience that caused him concern (enough to post the question.) I think its a good question and if he has to ask it, perhaps he should consider learning a bit more about braking a big bike. That's how I read it. Between my linked brake BMW and the '00 Harley (Brembo modded,) there simply isn't that much difference in experienced hands IMO.

Oh and gus, I'm impressed with your million mile mark too! Gotta' admit that I'm not there yet.

Last edited by Stiggy; 10-25-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2015 | 12:27 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior

Keep shopping, yes we have been riding for years without abs
But my next bike will have it, every little bit helps

Old 10-25-2015 | 12:40 PM
gus4440
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Why would I be directing this at you? You didn't start the post.

The (relatively,) new guy asked if he should buy a bike based on whether if had ABS or not. That indicates a level of experience that caused him concern (enough to post the question.) I think its a good question and if he has to ask it, perhaps he should consider learning a bit more about braking a big bike. That's how I read it. Between my linked brake BMW and the '00 Harley (Brembo modded,) there simply isn't that much difference in experienced hands IMO.

Oh and gus, I'm impressed with your million mile mark too! Gotta' admit that I'm not there yet.
Sorry I misunderstood

Old 10-25-2015 | 12:44 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry I misunderstood
Hope the new guy wasn't insulted too. (That wasn't my intent.)

Old 10-25-2015 | 01:27 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

To the Captain: with drum brakes you already have ABS. LOL.
My question to Tampa Fat Boy was because there is nothing to get used to With ABS. If you are on a wet road and you feel the ABS cycling the brakes you have applied the brakes too much and the ABS has prevented you from locking the wheels and losing control.
To everyone else nothing beats skill and experience but ABS can save your butt. Planned controlled stops on dry pavement you can meet or maybe beat ABS stopping distance. On unexpected panic stops especially when you add potholes, rough or loose pavement or slick places like oil, water, or leaves, or grass clippings as was brought up recently on a group somewhere ABS will stop you in the shortest distance without losing control. Believe me the rubber tires stop shorter than metal and plastic when you have to "lay'er down".
lmbo...if you say so. I've been riding since I was a kid without ABS. First bike when I was 10, I grew up in a biker family.
ABS in the rain does take getting use to coming from non-ABS. Argue that all you want. I will say it didn't take long, few thunderstorms and all was good.
I guess you seen that new Deluxe in my profile and just assumed it was my first scoot, huh? Use to be a couple other scoots in the profile, some of the other members remember them.

Old 10-25-2015 | 01:43 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
This is utterly absurd, in addition to being insulting.
I'm thinking the guy meant is if your first bike is ABS and you never rode anything else, your skillset isn't what some others are. It's not to be insulting, it's pretty much self explanatory. I like the ABS, but it did take a few thunderstorms to get used to them in the rain. Just an observation, by no means am I trying to start a 'P' contest.
I'm more interested in the OP and his decision in regards to the RK.

Quick Reply: Question about getting a used Harley Road King