General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked out Buell Blast

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Bluerose
Default Checked out Buell Blast

Thinking of taking one for a test ride.Any opinions on them?

Been wanting the daughter to learn to ride but she wasn't happy with the cruiser thing. The Blast isinexpensive, 492 cc, 34 hp, and 360 lbs. Best of all it is really low to the ground so she can get her feet down (she's about 5'3" and 100 lbs).

Been dragging my feet on a scooter or 250 cruiser because you can barley hit the freeway on one of those. The blast seems like a possibility...

Old 05-06-2007, 12:13 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Checked out Buell Blast

I think they're cool little bikes. I'd never come close to fitting on one..but they seem pretty neat. They're unique looking.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

I am 6'3" and about, lets say, close to, around...Mmmm 275 lbs., close enough. The Riders Edge Course I took we used the Buell Blast, it was a great little bike. Had no prblems riding it, was kind of fun

Old 05-06-2007, 12:40 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

ORIGINAL: Lawdawg

I am 6'3" and about, lets say, close to, around...Mmmm 275 lbs., close enough. The Riders Edge Course I took we used the Buell Blast, it was a great little bike. Had no prblems riding it, was kind of fun
[:@] I hope we don't have those when I go to take my MSF course in July..I'm 6'3" and 375 pounds. That could get interesting. ..I'd rather be riding one of those than a Rebel though..lol

Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, I would recommend a ninja, the 250 or 500, for a couple of reasons. They are both pretty low and the seats can be shaved (even lowered) for the inseam-challenged.

But you can frequently find a used one, ride it a season and sell it for what you paid. I don't think you will find that with a blast.

And if she doesn't want to upgrade, some folks keep their ninjas, if she leans towards the sportbike thing. They are good beginners bikes, very forgiving and remain fun.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one, an '05, for my wife to learn on, and we still have it. It's a great little bike: easy to ride; good suspension; great mileage. The ergos are more like a standard than a sport bike, and it's a bit buzzy, but, hey, it's a big thumper. I've taken it on the freeway and it cruises comfortably at 75-80. We use it now for a run-to-the-store bike and for quick hops around town. I could sell it for about what I paid for it, but why? It's fun to have around.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Bob D
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more with harleyxlc. Taught both my kids to ride on the Ninja 250. Still have one in the garage for kicks. Fairly low seat, more upright than larger sport bikes. Great handling, easy to ride, carburated parallel twin. Low insurance too. A good one can be had for less than $2000 and sold for what you payed for it usually.
Older son moved to bigger Sport bike but the 17 year old likes my Deuce..... Smart boy !!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 01:17 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

A good bike to learnwith , the wife started out on one .
I even got a kick out of it when I could pry it from my wife .
Excelent brakes ( stoppies possible)and super handling comes to mind .
You could get an optional lower seat version which hers had .
Very predictable power so it shouldn't scare a new rider .
With only a 100# rider it should really go .

The things I didn't like about it was the funky automatic choke ( this was a 2001 version maybe there different now). I forget what exactly what it was about the choke but it was annoying for sure . I remember the dealer tech saying there wasn't any adjustmentfor it .
The flywheel seemed a bit light as it needed a bit of feathering of the clutch on takeoff.

I would think there would be plenty of used ones going cheap .

Any twin of the same displacement would blow this out of the water power wise , but thats not such a good thing for a new rider .

Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Bluerose

Going to LA Harley in the morning for the Ladies Expo...Don't remember seeing them there. They are having demo rides.

If they don't have them I'll go stop by the local dealer. They have a 2004 for $2995 w/1000 miles...I can probably talk them down if she feels she would be comfortable.

I showed her the Ninja and we can stop to see one but she thinks it will still be too high. I want her to feel stable not tiptoe at a stop.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

When I took the MSF course I was on a Buell Blast. It is probably a good beginners bike. I would get it over the 250 cc cruisers. Of course it is a lot more expensive. I found it was very easy to stall the Blast. If you are getting a used one make sure it wasn't a former Rider's Edge bike.

Someone mentioned the Ninja 250. I think they redline at around 15,000 rpms. I don't think a beginner needs a bike with all the power that high up in the RPM range.

Quick Reply: Checked out Buell Blast