General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How lucky I am...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:53 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How lucky I am...

There was a posting yesterday about someones friends having been beat by someone. This is truly terrible and should never happen, but unfortunately the world is not always the warm fuzzy navel I like to think it is. This got me to thinking about my own life and the traumas I have overcome to be where I am today. This coupled with the OCC FANtasy bike show that I just watched about a gentleman who is paralyzed brought me to tears with gratitude for my own life and the simple abilities I possess.

I too was brutally beaten in the year 2005. I was out searching for art supplies in the early hours of the morning in the back alleys of my home city. I am an artist and am really into creating "outsider art" as it is formally called. This means that most of the art I create is made of recycled materials. Old tabletops make great canvases, as do old doors, shutters, windows, skateboards, cardoors, whetever I can find. I also create on blank canvases as a traditional fine artist does, but the aspect of taking something that has been discarded and turning it into a work of art is sacred to me as we live in such a "disposable" society.

So here I am in the early morning hours or August 2005 driving up and down alleys looking for blank canvases. I do not remember what happened to me,and the doctors say that I most likely never will if I haven't by now, but I was jsut reflecting on how lucky I am to be alive, able to WALK and TALK, and to have beautiful Harley Davidson motorcycle taht I can ride anytime I choose. This episode of OCC made me realize that most people who have had some sort of incident as I have are injured much worse than myself, and I should consider myself lucky to have legs that carry me to a 2 wheeled vehicle that I am able to ride on my own.

It is really disturbing that I will never know what happened to me. People ask and I just kinda look at them and tell them I have no idea. All I know is that I suffered 3 very serious blows to my brain as they called my injury a traumatic brain injury. Scotergrrl knows all the details, but I just can't remember all that stuff right now. I am grateful to be alive and to have a second chance at life. My goal is to become a household name with my art, and to obviously support myself from the profits of it. I was reminded of this today when I saw this gentleman on the OCC show who had been paralyzed from his chest down and refuses to let that affect him more than it should. I have been stuck in self pity and feel like I have finaly seen the light and have realized that whatever I want to do is possible. It is so easy to lose sight of that in day to day existence. why am I writing al of this here? I don't really know. I jsut thought I would share with my fellows. This is in no way a post seeking sympathy, for I have had enough of that, merely a statement of my gratitude to be functional and alive. Have a nice day all...

Old 05-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Goodjr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How lucky I am...

Folks take too much for granted these days . . . . I saw the same episode of the OCC, sure makes you appreciate what you have. I agree wth you totally and the next time I go for a rip on the streetglide ill be even more thankful for what I have in life.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:24 PM
GGC
Road Warrior

Very glad your OK

Old 05-06-2007, 04:00 PM
cajunman831
Tourer

thank god you,re alive.i know a man who is paralyzed from waist down.every time i see him it hurts.he has such a will to live.he was hurt in a construction
accident.he recently had his leg amputated due to constant pain.it makes me wonder..would i be able to handle that like him.plus he has a wife and kids.
it,s so sad.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Annubiss,it is always good to reflect on that side of life once in a while.I was alsohospitalized for a few days because of a driver that crossed the yellow line,and forced me off the road out into an 8 foot dropoff.Totalled the bike,and it took me over 3 months just to be able to get around.I was also lucky, and still crave to be on my beautiful Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

An attitude, of gratitude, will get you thru just about anyting life throws at ya.
You are blessed experience it.

LG

Old 05-06-2007, 09:06 PM
beachbum
Advanced

You my friend, havejust discovered true balance in life. Be gratefull, have humility and never forget where you came from.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell me about it Anubiss..I about got jacked a few years ago coming out of a bar. Three drunken punks started talking junk as I was leaving - one bastard comes over to my window to apologize for his friends and damn if he doesn't throw a punch at me though the driver side window. I hit him back hard and was able to pull out without a major confrontation -what's interesting though is I have a CCW and were I not a cautious law abiding citizen I just as easily could have pulled my S&W .38 sitting just inches away - fortunately I wouldn't do that unless it was a life or death situation but it kinda makes one wonder where some people are coming from to play the odds like they do?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're okay. You're here for a reason. I'm sure you will make a positive difference in other's lives.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are here so I can help you and you can help me. What a deal. Got to love it. Ride on.

Quick Reply: How lucky I am...