General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Encouragement & anecdotes wanted for new rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:50 AM
bruef
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Encouragement & anecdotes wanted for new rider

My wife and I are thinking about getting her her own bike. She's never ridden before (and for that matter has never even driven a manual shift car) so the game plan is for her to take the riders course ata nearbyHD dealership. As one would expect, she's very nervous about this and especially concerned about "looking like a dork" in the class since she has zero experience on the front seat.
I would really appreciate it if some of you folks who have relevant tales of learning to ride as an adult could offer up your stories and/or words of encouragement. Hearing from the gals and/or anyone who has taken the Riders Edge course and subsequently gotten into riding would be especially helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Encouragement & anecdotes wanted for new rider

One of my close female friends just recently was is her shoes and she took the MSF and was fine. She said the classroom was as good as the riding portion. Plus she will be with a bunch of people at the same level as her,she will do fine.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
dhubley
Cruiser

About half of the folks in my MSF class had never been on a bike. They all did fine. The instructors know how to teach and everyone is supportive.

She will be fine as soon as they get started. Everyone is a bit anxious.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:36 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife had zero experience with motorcycles as far as being in control that is. When I got mine she was actually afraid of them. We took the riding part slow and she ended up loving that. She did however like to complain about the quality of the seat. I finally ended up telling her that the only way to get a more comfortable seat was to get another motorcycle and she could have the comfortable part of the seat by actually driving the bike.

Now she likes nice things and finally pointed out an 06 Low Rider that she said if she was going to be driving, she wanted that bike. I made the leap bought the bike and at this point she didn't even have a permit. The new bike sat in the garage over the winter, she got her permit, in the spring did the riders course and in the first year put over 6000 miles on her bike. She loves it and now says that she never wants to sit behind me again.

She isn't a big girl, 5'4" and 130 pounds. Rides just a well as any guy I know. She loves it. It cost me a pile of money but, it was/is worth it.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 PM
f4mechusmc
Banned

I was absent from riding for 23 years. Went out and bought an '05 Super Glide. Got my feet wet and then took the MSF Riders Safety Class and had a great time and learned alot. Been ridin for almost 3 years now and lovin' every minute of it.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:27 PM
L3ft2
Road Captain

I would love t o get my wife to ride. She has expressed an interest but is hesistant for the same reasons you mentioned. glad to hear that other wives have made the grade from the same starting point.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:18 PM
bruef
Intermediate

[quote]ORIGINAL: 05 Wd Gld

>My wife had zero experience with motorcycles as far as being in control that is. When I got mine she was actually afraid of them. We took the riding part slow and she ended up loving that.

Yeah that's pretty much the same progression we had. When we first started dating she'd never been on one. Took her on her first ride and she didn't open her eyes or let go of the death grip she had around my waste (which I didn't mind ) the whole time. Now she's an old pro at riding the back seat. But didn't really get an inkling to take the controls until we were in a store shopping for my Heritage Softail a few weeks ago. Just for kicks she sat on a Sportster in the showroomand took hold of the grips and got this wide grin on her face and said "oh yeah.. I could see this.... "

Old 05-05-2007, 01:31 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife refused to get on even as a rider until she had time practicing in the garage 'cuz she didn't wanna look like a dope in front of anyone but me.. Must be a girl thang...

As for her driving one by herself? lol Nope.. ain't gonna happen 'till they make 'em with rubber transmissions. She is incapable of driving manual shift.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

buy her a ridley

Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your wife will make it. I had never rode anything on two wheels before I bought my Fatboy. I have a manual car, so I know my way around a clutch/shifter, but other than that, I was totally new to it. It had the apes on it when I bought it too, so I learned/am learning with those on it. I've tought myself to ride and am doing really good, in my opinion. I'm still going to take the MSF course in July, as i'm sure that will help me a lot too. She can do it though, without a doubt. Let her get in the yard and just do it..take her time..ease out on the clutch and just go slow across the yard..let her keep her feet 2 inches off the ground, down to the side..if she wants to. It provides comfort, knowing that you can put your feet down and catch yourself any time you want to. Eventually she'll be riding all the way across the yard holding her feet up...then, she'll move them up to the pegs, and then she'll try to go further, etc.

Quick Reply: Encouragement & anecdotes wanted for new rider