General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015 | 04:29 PM
thejudge320
|
Stage II
Default decisions decisions

Hi guys I'm new to the forums and I'd like some input. I've decided I want to get a Harley as my first bike and i'm having a hard time deciding what to get.

I've never ridden a bike before, I'm 5'8" and on the skinnier side. I'd probably be using this bike for some commuting and just cruising around town, not much highway use. I've been looking around the forums for ideas but i'm still not quite sure. I'm thinking a sportster since they seem to be smaller bikes. I'm also curious if there's much difference between an iron 883 and a superlow besides how they look? Thanks guys.

Old 09-17-2015 | 06:04 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

I see you're in Connecticut? Where? I'm in Waterford.

Anyways....spend some times cruising threads in this forum...there have been a few about this topic in the past two months or so...a whole bunch of them.

I'll give my quick input...

Sportster..."FL" chassis a smaller, lighter chassis than the other Harleys (except for that weird new Street model). Smaller engine (883 and 1200)..but they both weigh the same. Very fast bike...quick. For someone of 5'8" you'd be comfy on it. I'm 6'5" and after a half hour on my wifes Sportster...I feel a little cramped...I need to stretch out more. You can find lots of them "used"...as many people purchase one for their first bike...and then upgrade to a "big twin" after a year. Yeah some people joke at them..calling them ladies bikes. Don't listen to that. Lots of guys ride them forever. One quick note...they are more "top heavy" than the big twins...you'll feel it leaning more at stoplights/stopsigns. Nothing a 5'8" guy shouldn't be able to hold up. My wife is 5'5" and 135-140 lbs and handles hers fine.

Street...a brand new model, 500 and 750 size I think. Built for the purpose of the first time biker, and urban rider...smaller, lighter, more agile. They catch some flak from traditional Harley guys....cuz it ain't an air cooled "big twin". But honestly...a decent little bike...a bit more "budget"...but again, for a first time rider...and his first bike...nothing wrong with it.

The following three bikes are in the "big twin" category.

Dyna..."FX" chassis. Tons of them used. Good bike to learn on. Lots of sub models...don't worry about those...take your time learning them. Kinda like a big sportster. Exposed rear shocks easily seen.

Touring.."Glides"..."FL" models. Road Glide, Street Glide, etc. Baggers. Big, heavy, meant for long hauls. Fairings, hard bags, sometimes big rear seats. You still see the rear shocks.

Softails...they come in both FL and FX types...difference is the front forks. FLST has the big touring front forks and headlight bezel, the FXST has the Dyna front forks...a little lighter looking. Has the classic "hard tail" look...you don't see any rear shocks. This is the easiest way to ID them. One thing you'll notice...you sit lower in them...you sit "in them" instead of "on top of them" like the other models.

VRod..another oddball model, more of a muscle bike...totally different engine.

Strongly recommend you purchase a used bike for your first one. You have to be realistic...you will likely "drop" your first bike...you don't want to do that to one you signed up for 5 years of payments on, do you? Pickup a used Sporty in the 5-7k range (or less if you shop private sales)...or pickup a used Dyna in the 7-9k range (or less if you shop private sales).

Many people will say "pickup a used metric bike" for your first bike...I guess the logic there is that if you drop it, since you paid even less for those...it won't hurt your bank as much. That's a personal decision you have to make. Lots of peeps pickup a used Harley for their first bike and grow from there.

Strongly recommend you also do the motorcycle safety course first.

And spend time at some dealerships checking out the various models up close, sit on some...feel the difference. No they likely won't let you ride one..especially without a history of experience and a license.

...good luck in your quest.

Old 09-17-2015 | 06:26 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Are you really a judge? Welcome to a great forum.

I'm kinda new here too, been riding my first bike (in my sig) for only 6 weeks. I originally had my heart set on a Dyna, in part because my job is 55 mi away, mostly highway, and I felt the Dyna would be more comfortable. I ended up with the Sporty 1200, primarily because it was cheaper, but also because as a first bike I felt it would be easier to handle. No regrets here. I really love it. The trips to work take some effort to be sure, but I only do 1 or 2 days a week on the bike.

Happy hunting!

Old 09-17-2015 | 06:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Do this...
Go to a dealership, ride the bikes that you're interested in and decide for yourself.

Old 09-17-2015 | 06:37 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Do this...
Go to a dealership, ride the bikes that you're interested in and decide for yourself.
Yep. What he said.

Old 09-17-2015 | 09:44 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master

As mentioned in a previous reply, "Motorcycle Safety Course!" Riding a motorcycle ain't just riding a big bicycle. The MSF course will teach you many things that will make your riding more fun, and most important...much safer. In fact, I'd recommend taking the course before you start looking to buy a bike. That way you have some idea of how to ride properly, and what to look for in the way it handles and feels to you.

Good luck on finding the right bike, and welcome to the world of motorcycles.

Old 09-17-2015 | 11:13 PM
Skogdog
Cruiser

What Stonecat said....all of it good advice. Training course too...do it. Maybe a Deluxe might work for you. A 24 1/2" saddle height (last time I checked, anyhow), and it handles and balances beautifully. In addition, it's actually 2" longer in wheelbase than a road king and it's within 30 lbs of the RK too. Of it's your first bike, install roll bars.

Old 09-18-2015 | 08:31 AM
thejudge320
|
Stage II

Thanks for all the info guys. Yeah I do live in ct, a little town called hebron closer to hartford. I know i really need to go sit on some bikes to get a feel for them. All the research in the world won't replace that. With the motorcycle safety course are you guys referring to the ones they have at harley dealerships?

Old 09-18-2015 | 09:00 AM
mdm
Tourer

Originally Posted by thejudge320
...With the motorcycle safety course are you guys referring to the ones they have at harley dealerships?
Most places you have two sources for motorcycle safety courses. The Harley Davidson Riding Academy and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Both of these are actually the same course with the HD Riding Academy throwing in some brand advertising where you spend time with the dealer's inside staff (sales, service, motor clothes,...) The actual content of the training is the same for both sources. Some places you can find other training available with varying levels of program quality.

I'd recommend getting the training behind you before you dig too deep into what to buy. One thing to consider is that some dealers will refund the cost of the training if you buy a bike from them within x days of the class. Some take it off the cost of the bike, some give it back as a store credit. Some do it only for the purchase of a new bike, some do it for the purchase of a use bike.

Regardless of where you choose to get the training, get it. It can be a real eye opener for some people. There are folks that think that they want to ride but after a few hours on the range they decide it really isn't for them and never get back on a bike. Some folks just shouldn't ride on two wheels.

Old 09-18-2015 | 09:50 AM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior

The MSF course is great. I had fun taking it. I used it as a refresher after many years not riding. I am looking for an advanced MSF course now. You can't go wrong with the road test wavier issued after passing the basic one. I am down in Ridgefield.

Quick Reply: decisions decisions