General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015 | 06:36 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

So here's the deal. There is no one answer, its kind of live and learn. Doing the msf stuff is a good idea, it'll give you some basic familiarity with 2 wheels. What you think now as far as type of riding you going to do vs what you will actually do will probably change a lot over time if you stick with it. I've taught 2 types of riders over the years, guys who bought a smaller metric "starter" bike and guys who wanted a Harley and some bought the sportster to start and some bought a road king as their first bike. It depends a lot on your frame of mind. A few years ago, I posted some advice for new riders, here is the link. Good luck and have fun!
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...s-opinion.html

Old 09-19-2015 | 08:59 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Do this...
Go to a dealership, ride the bikes that you're interested in and decide for yourself.
Solid advise

Old 09-19-2015 | 09:44 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member

I've ridden a lot of bikes in my life and quite a few Harleys. For a new rider, like previously mentioned, I highly recommend the MSF. It will teach you good techniques and habits instead of you picking up bad habits.

I would suggest the Harley Street 750 over the 500. It will have a little more umpf and I'm told the 500 has more warranty issues. I am not a fan of the 883. I'd go with the 1200 Sportster and get a little more bike. It does much better on the highway than the 883 and you will eventually end up on the highway.

As far as Sportsers being a girls bike. That's just macho shaming. Evil Knievel rode a Sportser XR750 and I don't think anyone would have told him it was a girly bike. For years 74 cubic inches was "THE" Harley engine before the Evo. 74 cubic inches is 1200 cc's. If someone told my Dad that the Harley 74 was a sissy bike they would get popped in the nose. Then again, no one would say that.

Old 09-19-2015 | 09:57 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by thejudge320
Hi guys I'm new to the forums and I'd like some input. I've decided I want to get a Harley as my first bike and i'm having a hard time deciding what to get.

I've never ridden a bike before, I'm 5'8" and on the skinnier side. I'd probably be using this bike for some commuting and just cruising around town, not much highway use. I've been looking around the forums for ideas but i'm still not quite sure. I'm thinking a sportster since they seem to be smaller bikes. I'm also curious if there's much difference between an iron 883 and a superlow besides how they look? Thanks guys.
How much money do you have?

Old 09-19-2015 | 10:07 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Try to narrow your wants to a couple. See if you can get a good used bike worth the money. And learn to ride well. Classes and such would be a good thought.

A Road King is the best bang for the bucks imho

Omaha and I are kinda partial to EVO's and you can still find some of them at really good prices.

WP

Old 09-19-2015 | 11:45 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
For a new rider, like previously mentioned, I highly recommend the MSF. It will teach you good techniques and habits instead of you picking up bad habits.
100%. Taking the course will help you in your "which motorcycle to get" decision. (It's a hell of a lot better then asking strangers on a forum that caters to one single brand.)
You can take the course at a Harley dealership (Rider's Academy) or take the course at an authorized school. (MSF) Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The Harley course takes a little longer but covers the same exercises, pretty much. A bit more "sales" is injected into the Harley course. You will be riding Street 500's during the range exercises. The price of the course is usually deducted from the price of your bike...if you get it there.

Now, as far as "shopping" for a bike~ BUY A USED BIKE! Tip overs are very common with newbies. A bike that already has that "experience" with hurt the owner's pride a lot less than a pristine bike with a shiny new dent in the tank.

Prepare for the ride, always.

Jeeze, listen to me, I sound like a

Old 09-20-2015 | 01:34 AM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Default decisions decisions

So I'm 5'8 and skinny myself. I have Sportster 72 (1200V) and it's perfect in weight and power for me. Although I would not get it as a first bike.

I started on ninja 250 then ninja 650 then Daytona then R6. Not that you need to start on sporty bikes, there are Honda Rebels and others.

If you're set on Harley as first bike, I'd say get used 883 Iron then upgrade to Dyna or something like that. I am not an expert just going by my experience.

Old 09-20-2015 | 02:54 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

First of all, Hello OP!

I haven't read previous posts, but the first thing to know is that HD Forums does NOT require ANY knowledge of the topic at hand BEFORE posting an opinion!

The "First Responder" (I read a sentence of two) seems to have good advice.

Welcome to HDF.

Take "the course"... it will be enlightening... You'll find you can court death as easily on 250cc's as you can on 1500cc's. Remember also, that 1500cc's was the formula for F-1 in the late '60's. Fortunately HD's are not quite up to the sophistication level as an F-1 engine. You can meet your death quite handily on it without modification.

Jerry at "Ride Like a Pro" on the internet. He's a former motor officer and an obcessive-compulsive instructor and knowledge disperser. Incredible Source of riding proficiency skills via free videos, and not free DVDs as well as live personal training sessions. You will find clarity in his instruction and confidence in his dedication.

The "Sporty" is not a "sissy" bike. It is like a Lotus Elan on steroids.

My FXDWG is a big ol' comfy rocking chair. There are HD's that are big ol' comfy rocking chairs that are even bigger and even more comfy!

It's just like dating... You'll never be certain (if that's even a reliable concept) of what you like best without spending LOTS of time with each!

Best Wishes,

NEVER lose these Certainties of Two Wheel Survival:

1. You ARE a "Prey" animal... Conduct yourself accordingly!

2. EVERYONE is out to kill YOU!

3. Gravity, good Rubber and Brakes are NOT enough to keep you alive.

4. Common sense (lacking for so many in real life) is your most formidable ally!

5. You always have friends here on HDF

Jim aka kiltimeon (in the words of my favourite television Sargent: "Let's be careful out there!"