General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brain Bucket Struggle - Slides Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,758 Likes on 3,115 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
that makes me think in an accident it'd be gone.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Go back to your fullface. You'll get more respect from real riders. Not kidding, here.

I used to wear a half helmet (DOT.) Years ago. Wore a 3/4 for a few years then. Now, it's FF regardless of how hot it is. If it's THAT hot, then I'll take something with A/C anyway. There's no gallantry in being miserable. I wear a helmet 100% of the time (altho, some say it's too late for me!)

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 09-19-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

There is an XXL Harley Helmet for sale in the classifieds on this site.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 AM
AUTOT3K
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
You need to get properly fitted at a good shop. Not wandering around yourself trying on random helmets.
I ended up finding one at a shop called GW cycle. They were pretty helpful and had a couple that fit perfect, even with the straps undone I cant slide it off the back of my head with ease

Old 09-14-2015, 08:35 AM
AUTOT3K
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Go back to your fullface. You'll get more respect from real riders. Not kidding, here.
I plan to keep wearing my full face %95 of the time, it has my Sena attached to it.
I just wanted the half helmet option for little cruises around the neighborhood; yes I know stuff can happen even in a residential area

Old 09-14-2015, 04:28 PM
fsae0607
Road Master
Received 261 Likes on 145 Posts

Cast my vote for the Bell Pit Boss. I ride with no windshield and when the helmet is good and tight, it won't slide off even at freeway speeds.

The flip down visor is cool, but it tends to create a bit of turbulence around my eyes with sunglasses on.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:18 PM
virtualpj
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might consider a 3/4, too. Will give you plenty of wind-in-the-face, but offer a little more protection and more options. Could stay on your head better, too.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If you're wearing a brain bucket, you're not wearing it for protection because it won't do much for you in that area. So what's the difference if it doesn't fit perfectly. Slide a baseball cap under it and it will stop sliding.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:54 AM
roofgunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, don't over tighten the chin strap to hold it on. You can actually tighten it too much and can cut off circulation akin to hanging yourself. It's probably very rare, but back in 1978, using a Bell Star II full coverage helmet, this happened to me. At high speed the helmet would lift, so I pulled it tighter. In this case the helmet caused an accident and saved me (esp my face) at the same time. I now wear an Arai Vector and it makes the old Bell seem like something out of the Middle Ages.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Visago
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indiandave
I have a Daytona helmet that I like. I still like wearing my full face if I'm riding pretty far. I find a full face doesn't give you that beatup feeling on longer rides.
Recently picked up a Daytona DOT half shell. Awesome helmet...feels like it was custom made for my head. They sit pretty low and I don't have that big helmet look going on. Rode almost 900 miles with it a couple of weeks ago...it was very light, comfortable, and only rode up a couple of times on the whole trip. I wear that now in the extreme heat but when it cools off I go to a 3/4 with a shield and then a full face in the winter.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:27 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
This. Just because you feel like you can wear a skullcap because you're on a Harley doesn't change the fact that you can still get hurt the same way you would have on your previous sport bike. If you did short rides around on your previous bike, why didn't you get a sliver helmet back then? Same reason, safety. Keep with the full face.

Quick Reply: Brain Bucket Struggle - Slides Off