General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts
Default How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them

I'm talking about the situation where there's a trip coming up (like Daytona) and you'd really rather not ride up with a slowpoke. You just know they are going to slow you down, either because they ride below the speed limit, they like to stop too often and for too long, or because they are a crappy rider or a new rider.

It's difficult to say no when you're going to the same hotel. I had the misfortune of riding to and from Daytona a few years back with the slowest guy on the planet. 20-25mph below whatever the posted speed limit, he nearly got us killed on I-95 going on the on ramp at 50 and nearly running us into a truck. I stayed with him and his friend for about 20 miles, stuck behind semis, then I couldn't take it any longer and rode home alone.

So I just need a nice way to say I'd rather ride alone or with a couple others that ride similar to me.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 PM
WRE4U
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 252 Likes on 134 Posts

Nicely? Just say no thanks...I'm going it alone, or not so nice.....you know what to say....

Old 09-10-2015, 06:09 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Do what I do... "Thanks for the invite but I just want to see how the wind blows"...

Old 09-10-2015, 06:14 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Just tell them you would rather roll single.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:30 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Just look him in the eye and say '' I don't want to ride with you, in fact, nobody does. You're too slow, and you might get us killed because of it. You're a crappy slowpoke rider. Please find a different hotel as well.''

Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM
KCinKy
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

If you want to be real nice, might say that you want some "alone time" to think over some things, appreciate your offer, maybe next time. By the way, I'll meet you all for coffee later on. If they don't pick up on that........hmmmm, throw rocks at'em??

Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I'm talking about the situation where there's a trip coming up (like Daytona) and you'd really rather not ride up with a slowpoke. You just know they are going to slow you down, either because they ride below the speed limit, they like to stop too often and for too long, or because they are a crappy rider or a new rider.

It's difficult to say no when you're going to the same hotel. I had the misfortune of riding to and from Daytona a few years back with the slowest guy on the planet. 20-25mph below whatever the posted speed limit, he nearly got us killed on I-95 going on the on ramp at 50 and nearly running us into a truck. I stayed with him and his friend for about 20 miles, stuck behind semis, then I couldn't take it any longer and rode home alone.

So I just need a nice way to say I'd rather ride alone or with a couple others that ride similar to me.
You better make something up real quick cause that rides gonna suck!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts
Default How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them

If it was slowness, I might not say anything because sometimes it is better not to race to get where you are going. In other words enjoy the ride. That being said, if the slowness is a big deal, then take time to explain why, such as you need to be a certain place by a certain time because of a certain thing. Having the patience to explain your reasoning is a mark of a friend.

If it is poor skill set, crappy riding, being dangerous, not knowing how to properly ride in s group, then that is a more legitimate thing. Still, explain your safety concerns and suggest he take a riding course or take the time to teach him proper technique to improve what he is deficient in. Again, friendship is about being patient enough to explain your reasons for disagreement.

I don't ride with a group. Sometimes I might ride with my dad but that is it because I know how he rides, his habits, and it is only one other person besides myself to have to maintain close awareness of.

The following users liked this post:
FSantana (06-23-2017)
Old 09-10-2015, 06:48 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
Just look him in the eye and say '' I don't want to ride with you, in fact, nobody does. You're too slow, and you might get us killed because of it. You're a crappy slowpoke rider. Please find a different hotel as well.''
THIS!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geeze thanks a lot Lauren... you coulda just told me.

Seriously though, no need to try and be overly 'nice' about it. Especially if you feel it's a safety issue. Hell I'd rather somebody told me up front and I wouldn't take offense. It's the old 'ride your own ride' mantra and you'll see them when you get there. Life's too short, just be up front and if they can't handle it then that's their problem. Don't make it yours.

The following users liked this post:
FSantana (06-23-2017)

Quick Reply: How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them