General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 PM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

There sure is a lot of drama in here with what is really a very simple issue.

If you don't want to ride with someone, don't. If he persists tell him why, you don't have to be a dick doing this.

If you do agree to ride with him, you are committed to making that ride with him until you openly tell him your going on by yourself. Until you break that commitment you have a shared responsibility with that person. Agreeing to ride with him and then blasting down the road intentionally leaving him behind is just rude on multiple levels, and may be dangerous.

My commute ride is obviously going to be solo. Evenings, weekends, and road trips are limited to a group of two bikes, me and my wife. My wife and I have ridden together so long that we both know what the other one is doing in any situation.

I've avoided groups for many years because many of the dumbest things I've seen happen on bikes involved people riding in groups. Too many people think they can ride well really can't and are a hazard to themselves and others. I've got no desire to find out how poorly you ride by having you put me in danger.

I will sometimes be asked to join a group. "Thanks, but we ride by ourselves. We'd be happy to meet you there." That's all that needs to be said and guess what? It works.

The fact that someone is a poor/dangerous rider is a completely separate issue. Just because someone likes to ride faster or slower than you do does not by itself make him a poor rider. If someone I know is dangerous on a bike I feel I have a responsibility to him and others to let him know how I feel. I have several times had a quite talk with someone about his riding skills. It doesn't have to be rude or confrontational, just the facts. I've pissed a few guys off over the years but that is their problem, not mine. I've had several thank me and some have taken me up on my offer to help them improve their skills. Bottom line - don't be an *** about it. The life you save may be your own (or his).

Last edited by mdm; 09-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow this was way longer than I thought?
Simple answer stop being afraid someone is going to be upset and talk with them! If they get upset it's on them!
When did we all become such emos!!!