General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Ray on the drums
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,137 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadache
Why is everybody in such a big d@mned hurry?
I think the Gemini in me has me on both side of the fence here.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Over the years, I'm down to a very small group of friends I ride with, and then it's only once or twice a year. I know these people and their riding habits, and they know mine. Outside of that group, I'm not really that interested.

I much prefer going solo, as I can stop when I need to, not on someone else's schedule. I find riding with any group to be much more tiring.

I've had other people, some quite persistent, want to ride with me, and I end up dodging them. Sorry, if I don't know you, riding with you is not how I'm going to start. If they persist, I tell them, "I'm old, and the bladder requires me to make frequent pee stops." Usually they get the idea.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

If I'm joining a group that has folks along that I'm not familiar with, I just expect there'll be at least 1-2 that are slow pokes and figure I'll just have to go with the flow. For example, going on the yearly QOTR trips. All great people but living so far from most I don't know the riding skills of some, especially new ones that join each year.

Locally, we have a short meeting before KSU where the expectations are clearly stated....safe distance between riders, keeping up to avoid yo-yoing, etc. Just keeping the group in sight is NOT keeping up! We check everyone's gas range so the lead bike knows when to stop for gas and set stop times, no hour long potty breaks! I hand out cards with the address of the destination, and brief instructions to get there, to make sure everyone knows exactly where we're going. As a general rule if someone in the group brings a new-to-us rider along and they are too slow to keep up, the group member drops back and stays with their 'friend' while the rest of us continue on at our normal speed. It's for the safety of the whole group.

As for how to tell someone nicely you don't want to ride with them....honesty is best. I explain exactly why I prefer not to ride with them at this particular time but will offer to ride with them at a later date with just the two of us to work on any issues they may have. Some are open to constructive criticism, some aren't, but at least I've offered and tried to help. Some that are never going to change, I just say our riding styles don't agree and I'll meet them there.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:50 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,329 Likes on 1,454 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadache
Why is everybody in such a big d@mned hurry?
IMO,it's safer for me to work my way through traffic than to have traffic work its way around me.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Simple

Show them a picture of the people you truly trust and explain they aren't one of them.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:38 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Ride with 'em but you lead. Don't look in your mirror just keep going.
When you get to Daytona and meet up with them later in the hotel say, "Hey I thought you guys were gonna ride with me"

Old 09-15-2015, 07:39 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Tell them your new bike is too fast and too cool for them. :-) My favorite was the "throw rocks at them."

Old 09-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Over the years my wife and I have just developed a comfortable rhythm to our riding. Whether it's a 300 mile day trip or the ride to Sturgis, we like to travel without others. We ride, stop, and whatever when WE want to.
Eddy

Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Meet with them, get on your bike look right at them and say "Last one there buys the beer!" Then take off like a bat outta hell.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 PM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

send them the link to this thread

Quick Reply: How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them