General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I'll say I'm leading hope you keep up safely or we will meet at the next planned stop and this how it has been for few years only person keeps up with me is my wife. I'm glad she enjoy riding fast and she says it keeps her alert and also she says has to because she doesn't know where we are going.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:03 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Why can't folks just learn to say "No". No side stories no embellissements. The more that is done the person hears "Maybe" or thinks more ways to re-ask the question.

A direct "No" given with a smile and looking them in the eyes will work every time. That will be the end of the story.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:32 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,329 Likes on 1,454 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Just say sure sounds great, if you can keep up with me. Then ride like you always do and if he falls behind then good riddance ... I do this all the time.
Back in the younger days on three different occasions, guys behind me crashed trying to keep up with me. Two were buddies and one was my brother. It's really not that cool to turn around, ride back and find them crashed. It wouldn't have been "good riddance" if they had died. You're either riding with someone, or you aren't.

Last edited by RK4ME; 09-11-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,077 Likes on 17,941 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Back in the younger days on three different occasions, guys behind me crashed trying to keep up with me. Two were buddies and one was my brother. It's really not that cool to turn around, ride back and find them crashed. It wouldn't have been "good riddance" if they had died. You're either riding with someone, or you aren't.
Yeah kinda how it plays when you commit to do a group thing. Years ago I got sucked into doing a mountain run with a group of 7 and a a couple were questionable so I played tailend charlie. Had gotten dark and we're still climbing the twisties and I'm watching one taillight after another going off to the left till one didn't. He got lucky was a gentle grade and the brush stopped him and he had no clue what happened, few scraps and knots and it was a bear getting that bike back up the slope. Thing is if I hadn't played tail how long would it have been before they noticed.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:38 PM
CJ CYCLE
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
kick him in the nuts, throw his coat over his head and give him a dutch oven.

He won't ask again.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:51 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I was riding with three others on Hwy 301 with a 60 MPH speed limit a few years back, the others, all seemed content running along at the speed limit, I was bring up the rear. After an hour or so of this boring riding along in 5th gear, and with this obnoxiously loud Sporty with drag pipes that was running in front of me, I dropped back and moved over to the fast lane, accelerated, running 5th gear out till maybe 75 (passing them) up shifting to 6th, hammered along for about twenty miles doing between 75 and 80. Well, you guessed it, the first time in years, I get pulled over by the man. While I'm sitting on the side on the road getting a $200 speeding ticket the other three go riding by with smiles on their faces, they waited up for me down the road a ways. And I followed them all the way home. I think their's suppose to be a moral to this story.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 09-12-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,634 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
yea, this is what i think too ! if you commit to riding with someone or a group you should stick to it. at least i always have. i've ridden with people who have disappeared and we turned around to see what happened to them and couldn't find them. called them on their cell and they said oh, i stopped by to visit so and so. what the hell is wrong with them, we were looking and hoping they didn't crash. some people just don't get it. when you are traveling with someone you should stick together the whole trip unless you PLAN other wise.

Last edited by hardheaded; 09-12-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:31 AM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SixDD
Just look him in the eye and say '' I don't want to ride with you, in fact, nobody does. You're too slow, and you might get us killed because of it. You're a crappy slowpoke rider. Please find a different hotel as well.''
And....as a matter of fact.....you're ugly too!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,981 Likes on 4,038 Posts

Have never encountered such a clown as described by the OP. Everyone I have ridden with has been an experienced and competent motorcyclist. If there was someone who I did not want to ride with, I would tell them we cannot ride together. If he wants to know why, I would tell him.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

In a group ride you kind of commit to watching out for everyone, even those not so savvy to riding. I've moved on from one group after another due to newbs or hotdogs that I felt were not suited to the group ride. Not everyone has the necessary skill for a group ride.
I have a feeling Lauren and I ride the same, you don't have to say anything. Just move along. You know this, Lauren, trust your own judgment.

Quick Reply: How Do You Tell Somebody NICELY That You Don't Want To Ride With Them