General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Dealer Attitudes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:34 PM
mcflopper
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Dealer Attitudes

Just wanted to let everyone know about my bad experience at Shelton's Harley Davidson Mall Shop in Smithfield, NC. The sales manager, Jeremy, at that store called my wife and I pains in the ***, and he preferred if we never came back to that store! My wife and I purchased two new Harleys from Sheltons in Smithfield. We purchased an '07 Low Rider, and an '07 Sportster 1200 Custom. My Low Riderwas stock; my wife had a solo seat and Progressive shocks installed to lower the Sportster. The seat she picked out wasn't available so our salesman picked out one in exchange. My wife and I both told our salesman and his sales manager that the seat was uncomfortable. They insisted it would get better as it broke in. I picked the bike up and rode it home, about 75 miles. I realized it didn't matter whether the seat broke in or not, it was just uncomfortable. My wife called her salesman to exchange the seat. She was told "you can't return a seat just because it is uncomfortable". She reminded him this wasn't the seat we ordered and that we complained about the seat and was reassured it would be alright. The salesman said she had a point and he would look into. The saleman didn't call back that day so my wife called the next day and talked to the sales manager (the salesman was off that day). The sales manager proceded to give her grief so she gave me the phone. I made no personal slurs nor did I curse at Jeremy, the sales manager as we dicussed these issues. I actually liked Jeremy right up to the point when he insulted me and my wife! To conclude this story Jeremy told me that he thought my wife and I were "both pains in the *** and he would prefer if we never came back!" Nice attitude after you have just purchased two brand new bikes, been forced to buy $1500 in accessories in order to buy the bikes, and to be forced to pay for the first services up front! If anyone else has run into Harley dealership snobbery please post it here so we canall support the dealers who actually appreciate their customers!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,310 Likes on 6,123 Posts
Default RE: Bad Dealer Attitudes

Thers actually a whole section of threads about this very subject on the forum. Give it a look.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_231961/tm.htm

Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeremy would be pissin and sh!tt!n in a bag today with a bolt sticking out of his head hanging 6 inches over his hospital bed.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forced to pay for the first service?! You did NOT have to do that. You should have told him to pack sand at that point and went somewhere else.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I say go back daily and complain loudly enough to the sales manager and salesperson. After a couple of lost sales they will work something out.

It's sad that it would have to come to something like this though. [:@]

Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mcflopper

been forced to buy $1500 in accessories in order to buy the bikes,
Sorry to hear of your experience. I guess my only question is how in the world were you 'forced' to purchase accessories in order to buy the bikes? Were that the case, I would have told them to take a hike.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Bad way to be welcomed to the Harley family. All one can say is damn and find a new dealer. Sorry about the way you were treated but hey it's all good you now have 2 Harley's move on and do as they requested and never go back to that dealer. It's your money and you can spend it anywhere you want but not there.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Better yet, I'll loan you my wife. After about 10 minutes of her in that dealership, they'll be ready to give you a new bike for free! We just got a free month of phone service due to her.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:50 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Ummm... Did you tell the owner of this establishment of your treatment?? I'm sure he would not want his employees calling his customers a PITA. If you get no satisfaction there, take it to HD headquarters. You'll get a questionaire in the mail at a future date. It'll ask you to critique the dealer. Let'em have it.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If everything happened as you have stated, I would make NO MORE calls to that dealer, but I would sure be calling HD HQ to resolve the issue, then I would find another dealer. They could perhaps get away with that bull s**t ten years ago but those days are over.

Quick Reply: Bad Dealer Attitudes