General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powder Coating?

I'm certain this subject has been discussed many times before so pass on this thread if it annoys you.

I'm doing my first full tear down & rebuild on a 82 FXRS. I'm going to do a mild custom build and know very little about the powder coating finishes on a bike. We have adecent shop here that will do my frame/swingarm for $150 & my prepped jugs for $50. I'm considering doing much more at these rates. Is this a good route to take for other items like the tank, fenders, oil tank etc. or should I pass for another type of finish?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 AM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Powder Coating?

Powdercoating the oil tank to match the frame would look good, but I'd pass on PCing the rest of the tins, unless you're going for a matt look. Powdercoating still hasn't quite gotten to the same glossy, deep shine possible with paint. It's also a hell of alot harder to remove if you dent something and need to redo it.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power coat on tins,,,will look like,,,brushed on enamal...

Check wit the powder coater,,,,I had them strip an old job,,,they re-heated,,,and the coat fell off....

& my prepped jugs for $50
U'r just doing the outter edge of the fin's,,,,not the whole jug?????

I saw a finish about 2 weeks ago,,,,,it looked like he had the chrome lightlly anodized red...really sharp looking....ask the guy about it and he said that he thought it was powder coated...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
jbt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just started coating at home, I'd say if you have a VERY talented coater, the tins should come out well. Powder coats can be clearcoated, and polished like paint. It's much more durable, of course, but as mentioned above, repairs would be somewhat more difficult.

As a side note, if powder coat "fell off" when re-heated, it was applied really badly. If it was heated way above cure temp, I guess it might come off, but it will stay attached at up to around 400 degrees. Generally powder will only come off with sanding (done it- lots of work!) or with chemicals.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM
wesd41
Road Master

Not to hijack this thread, but that is one sweet looking Softtail, jbt. What finish is on those pipes?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I would probably not powdercoat the tins. Although you can get some really good colors done in powder. However, IMO, you would be better off with paint on the tins.

Now the motor, cases, frame,etc...Powder...It's the chit. I got my Jeep CJ's skidplate/crossmember done at: www.exoticcoatings.com They're 'local' to me, but they do outstanding work. They do all sorts of things, motorcycles and custom cars being a big business for them.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

Old 05-03-2007, 06:34 PM
jbt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**Hijack in progress!**

That's actually satin black spray paint. I'm currently looking for a full-size oven for coating, so when I find one, I'll re-do the pipes in satin powder. As it is, I need to repaint every month or so.

Hijack over, please continue with your thread.

ORIGINAL: wesd41

Not to hijack this thread, but that is one sweet looking Softtail, jbt. What finish is on those pipes?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
wesd41
Road Master

I don't think Toyman is looking, so on with the highjack-

My powdercoat guy went to great lengths to talk me out of PCing my pipes. Said it was an ugly finish, so I had JetHot coat them in flat black instead.

Just so this isn't a total highjack, there's a lot of powdercoat on this bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9230/7AF33F8330C341F4928E9DA71B8387E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyman!!! we been highjacked....kewl,,,,sounds like we got some,,,smarta$$'s,,,gonna set u straight on powder....

JBT!!!! is that powder on,,,, forks, x3 tree's, rizers, bars, dash, frame....whats on the oil bag and rocker box's, side cover???? Nice job!!! hurt my neck trying to see the primary finish...

Quick Reply: Powder Coating?