General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my ACC helmet tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:40 AM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Got my ACC helmet tonight...

Just curious...not trying to hijack the thread but I heard that the ACC non-DOT helmet actually passed 6 out of 7 of the DOT tests..the one it failed is almost irrelevant for a regular rider - anyone else ever heard this?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one came with a DOT sticker on it, and a label on the inside. Thanks again. Went to court for that ticket yesterday and got off as the officer did not show up.
It all worked out after all!!!!

I felt like my ACC helmet was to small as well, then I put in the thinner padding. Have you tried that yet?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I jsut got back from a nice ride with the new helmet. I went on the freeway at varying speeds and I have to say that I am very impressed. I have worn a lot of different helmets, and this has to be the lightest, most comfortable, best fitting helmet I have ever worn. No drag from the wind at any speed on any part of the helmet. I have the DOT half extended I think it is called. WOW. Well worth the money. I had to put the thinnest liner in it for peak comfort. It really feels like I am not even wearing a helmet. I took the bike up to about 80 and felt nothing at all. Wow, this will make the riding experience so much better. I am a very happy camper.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Just curious...not trying to hijack the thread but I heard that the ACC non-DOT helmet actually passed 6 out of 7 of the DOT tests..the one it failed is almost irrelevant for a regular rider - anyone else ever heard this?
If I recall correctly, The only one the non-dot failed was the spear test.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
redman53
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a non DOT half shell ACC helmet. I went to ACC to get mine and Erin recommended it since I live in FL. She said it passes all the DOT tests except the spear test...they drop a 7 lb spear fropm 10 feet and see if it penetrates, I think is what she said...I try not to ride where they are likely to be throwing spears at me, so the non DOT should work just fine...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Alias
Road Master

I really don't understand the DOT v'snon-DOT thing. What, there's about $20.00 and maybe a couple of oz's differencein the two. Might as well buy the DOT, that way if you ride into a state that requires a helmet your covered.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Floridafred
Cruiser

I drove the 200 miles up to ACC to pick up my DOT helmet and get fitted. Best, most comfortable helmet I have owned. Noticeably less wind drag on my RG. Nice and light. Nice people. Watch out for the pot hole pulling into the driveway.
Fred

Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
ratzila
Tourer

I have both helmets and the non-dot is definetly smaller. It is about the size of other novelty helmets but supposedly a lot stronger.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:49 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bassman

ORIGINAL: celtlion

If I recall correctly, The only one the non-dot failed was the spear test.

You are correct. Not that I've seen many spears used in the last 20 years, but that was the test it failed.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:24 PM
ratzila
Tourer

I guess it would not be great to ride in the amazon forest or Africa then

Quick Reply: Got my ACC helmet tonight...