General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim Bike Owners:

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:55 PM
screamin nightster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Denim Bike Owners:

I posted this thread early this morning and had 0 replies out of 85 views so I changed the title. Here is my question: my Nightster is gloss black. When a stone grazes the tank at 70MPH I know what happens. I've always wondered the same scenario with denim black painted bikes. Your replies are appreciated since I'm about to help my local dealer thin out his '15s.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:07 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

If you're asking if denim paint chips and scratches the answer is yes. And when it does you're stuck with said chip/scratch. I think it's easier to keep clean if you can live with a scratch if it happens.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:09 PM
screamin nightster
6th Gear

That's what I'm asking and thanks! I want to confirm that with no clear coat, there's not much chance of making life's everyday nicks and chips disappear.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:18 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 465 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin nightster
I posted this thread early this morning and had 0 replies out of 85 views so I changed the title. Here is my question: my Nightster is gloss black. When a stone grazes the tank at 70MPH I know what happens. I've always wondered the same scenario with denim black painted bikes. Your replies are appreciated since I'm about to help my local dealer thin out his '15s.
This is my second black denim street glide and my third denim bike. In general, black denim is much easier to care for than vivid black (had one of those too). I just wash with one of the recommended products and dry with a micro fiber cloth.

As far as deep scratches or stone chips you can't polish them out as you can with scratches in conventional clear coat. HD has denim touchup paint in a vial with a small brush. You can hide a scratch with the touch up paint to a certain degree but otherwise you are stuck with it and it requires a complete repaint to put it back to original.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:34 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I loved denim paint. My Blackline was and I had a lot of comments on it. But...if you touched it enough on one place, it'd start shining and you're stuck with it. Like my right knee touched the bottom edge of the tank and turning on the ignition side too. Both spots got shiny but I lived with it since it wasn't that noticeable.

But I never had a scratch or rock chip.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:58 PM
screamin nightster
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I loved denim paint. My Blackline was and I had a lot of comments on it. But...if you touched it enough on one place, it'd start shining and you're stuck with it. Like my right knee touched the bottom edge of the tank and turning on the ignition side too. Both spots got shiny but I lived with it since it wasn't that noticeable.

But I never had a scratch or rock chip.
Okay, that one (shiny spots) I've never heard of and I'm real glad you posted...I commute every dry day on my bike so there would be some real wear happening!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:32 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Denim paint has a clear coat.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:22 PM
paul0311
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Have a couple of scratches on my "pewter denim" NT. The scratch goes right through the gray and shows a black scratch. Not a big issue in my book. I'll take the ease of cleaning it over being able to effectively hide/paint scratches.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:24 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Denim does have a clear coat, but Chicken is right, it also starts to shine when "touched" enough in one spot over time and there is no fix for it.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:12 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrick
Denim does have a clear coat, but Chicken is right, it also starts to shine when "touched" enough in one spot over time and there is no fix for it.
When denim first came out, I remember someone here saying he rubbed his denim into a glossy shine. Why...I don't remember why. I was just stunned someone would do that.

Quick Reply: Black Denim Bike Owners: