General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I messed up or what? Helmet aversion!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Azgunner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I messed up or what? Helmet aversion!

My wife & I purchased HJC CL-21 1/2 helmets for an up coming out of state ride. I haven't worn a helmet for about 20 years, about 12 of them not riding, today was the 1st time riding with this thing on. Talk about cruel and unusual punishment, what a crime against the citizen riders in states with mandatory helmet laws. I can't believe you have not risen up in armed response against what your elected officials make you do to ride a motorcycle. Shame on you & on them!

O.K., now that I've gained the good graces of all who willingly & unwillingly wear helmets, does this get any better or do I just have a noodle neck? The wind noise sucked & going much over 65 MPH was a test of strength & endurance. I'd hate to have to ride a few hundred miles like that, not to mention how well my wife will hold up (she does have a noodle neck).

Is it just me or is this a pretty common experience? Is there a better alternative as far as better helmets? I think I just wasted $170.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Am I messed up or what? Helmet aversion!

Riding with a helmet is like sex with a condom.
It diminishes the experience, but the trade is protection.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 AM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NC is a helmet required state so no choice..I'm used to wearing a helmet but it's gotta be tough if you've ridden without one for the past 20 years. You do get used to it after a while though if that helps.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:41 AM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member

First off let me say you are right "helmets suck" I'm lucky to live in a state where helmets are not a requirement. With that said I also live in a state where it gets pretty damn cold for fall & winter riding. I do wear a full face in the colder months, but this last Sunday was able to put in about 200 miles in mid 70's without the helmet. I now have a white band across the front of my forehead where my favorite do-rag sits. Helmet for cold, do-rag for warmer weather along with all the comments from fellow workers, uh, went riding this weekend I see. Oh well they are just jealous anyway.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First thing I have to assume is that your helmet fits properly. If it wabbles all over your head it doesn't. If it's a "shortie" with a visor, and especially if it's not on tight, it's going to get buffeted all over the place.

I wear a full face helmet and I would feel naked without it. It's all a matter of what you become accustomed to. Here in the peak of heat (summertime) I will wear a Shoei 1/2 around town.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Azgunner,there are plenty os out hear that feel the same way you do,and have done something about it.United Bikers of Maine are strong advocates of let the rider decide.Our politicians only care about having their name in the paper or on paper.Them giving us not true facts in order to pass an unpopular law,because of a few DoGooders isa Sad state of affairs!"Let Those Who Ride Decide"

Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 AM
SteveFish
Advanced

Agree with Dog155 100%

Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got an HD 1/2 helmet that has removable ear flaps. With the flaps removed, the wind lifts the helmet off my head and whips my head around like crazy. I have cervical spine problems (bulged and ruptured discs) and wearing a helmet causes quite a bit of pain and discomfort, so I never wear one unless I am in a state requiring it. Unfortunately, the safety nazzis where I work have instituted a new rule requiring helmets if you ride on site. Now I have to stop and put on a damn helmet to ride the two blocks from the gurad shack to my parking space.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
RanD
Tourer

Here in WI no helmet is required and I therefore wear one VERY seldomly, but I've been trying to get used to it because of my annual solo ride coming up that is going to take me into states where lids are required. I've finally found a helmet that I can tolerate. www.carbonfiberhelmets.com. I have the DOT half and its so damn light that I can barely notice it on my head. But I still like riding without it better. I think it might be a little like wearing a seatbelt in a cage. I remember that when I first started to wear the belt it felt really foreign, but now it feels kind of weird if I don't have it on.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burnt my helmit the day PA gave us the right to decide,,,the chin strap holds the barn door shut...I'm thinking about going lidless if I venture into a state that requires one...Anybody know the fines for not wearing one in in the states around PA????

Quick Reply: Am I messed up or what? Helmet aversion!