General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I messed up or what? Helmet aversion!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Am I messed up or what? Helmet aversion!

Any solid color you like as long as it's black. What's different is the light weight (1450g/about 3lbs for full-face) and a ventilation system that enters at the bottom rear and flows up and over the face shield exiting under the chin. No chin vents, no forehead vents, nothing getting in the way of the natural airstream. Ever wonder why some of the helmets have tail spoilers? That's to offset the aerodynamic drag caused by all the protrusions in front. It's much cheaper to take an existing mold and bore larger vents or modify to accomodate more chin area, put different stripes on it and charge you more for their "new and improved" model. So, aside from my marketing toward Touring Riders, this is really a different helmet and has the patents to prove.
ORIGINAL: Danny Never

Chiabate,

All the manufacturers offer Solid colors. how are your helmets different from the others besides being marketed to adults. ( and as far as graphics go, the "stealth" is kinda racer-boy isn't it?) not trying to be disrespectful, just curious.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:04 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helments suck. It does not get better with time, you just have to suffer. That is why the push for mandatory helment laws. Every state that enacts a helment law the number of deathes goes down. Why? Because the number of registered riders goes down. The same is true the other way around. Law repealed, deaths increase because the number of registered riders increase. The last part they fail to add in on the aguement to inact helment laws. \

If are so great at saving lives and don't interfear with operation, then why is it not manditory to wear one in your car or truck? Race car drivers do!

Helment Laws - It is about big brother having control over our lives.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Danny Never
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: chiabate

Any solid color you like as long as it's black. What's different is the light weight (1450g/about 3lbs for full-face) and a ventilation system that enters at the bottom rear and flows up and over the face shield exiting under the chin. No chin vents, no forehead vents, nothing getting in the way of the natural airstream. Ever wonder why some of the helmets have tail spoilers? That's to offset the aerodynamic drag caused by all the protrusions in front. It's much cheaper to take an existing mold and bore larger vents or modify to accomodate more chin area, put different stripes on it and charge you more for their "new and improved" model. So, aside from my marketing toward Touring Riders, this is really a different helmet and has the patents to prove.
C'mon man, Shoei's and Arai's come in white red blue yellow as well. But 3lbs is pretty light. whats the MSRP?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chiabate,

All the manufacturers offer Solid colors. how are your helmets different from the others besides being marketed to adults. ( and as far as graphics go, the "stealth" is kinda racer-boy isn't it?) not trying to be disrespectful, just curious.
C'mon man, Shoei's and Arai's come in white red blue yellow as well. But 3lbs is pretty light. whats the MSRP?
yep, as do, uh just about every helmet mfgr like hjc and all the rest. i hope chiabate is either kidding or something.

i dont understand chiabate's assrtion about the spoilers either. the "spoilers" and other aerodynamic constructions on most helmets are to _decrease_ any lift caused by the helmet that could cause it to pull on the chinstrap at speed, which is one of the common complaints of half helmets. the lift is reduced by _disrupting_ the aerodynamics. i dont know why the manufacturer that he referenced would make their spoiler increase lift as their page claims.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

I have to agree with "whaap". It is all in what you're accustomed to. Canada is a helmet mandatory country, so I've always worn one. Started out with a fullface, then went to a 3/4, and have now worn a 1/2 shell for years. I have a fullface (flip front style) for riding in inclement or colder weather, but wearing a helmet is a fact of life for every motorcyclist in this country. It is all in what you're used to. Just the other day I worea newly purchasedfullface home from the local dealership. I felt like "The Man In The Iron Mask". Thankfully I bought it for my father, who has recently gotten back into riding, and not for my own daily use. I'm sure you'll get used to the 1/2 shell soon enough. A windshield can be of definite help at highway, to prevent the feeling that your head is going to separate from your neck, when the wind lifts the helmet.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:49 PM
SMT
Tourer

http://www.abate.org/

Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of 1/2 helmets give you what I call "the ***** head" and they cause a lot of lift. It is a matter of finding one that fits the best.
I'm all for letting riders decide, I choose to always wear a helmet. It is a matter of finding one that fits right. My next half will be an ACC, just not sure if I'll get it for this year or next.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess the first thing to address here is "spoiler" Spoiling the air is most commonly used to indicate downforce. That's why they're on the back of race cars, front "chin spoilers" are more commonly referred to as air dams.Why would you want an already heavy item feel heavier as speed increases? An ever-so-slight lift on the rear of a helmet decreases rider fatigue due to weight sensation. If you look on the touring forum, you'll see an independent review. If you're not one to ride all day or for any distance, these ain't for you.
ORIGINAL: dogtownmax

Chiabate,

yep, as do, uh just about every helmet mfgr like hjc and all the rest. i hope chiabate is either kidding or something.

i dont understand chiabate's assrtion about the spoilers either. the "spoilers" and other aerodynamic constructions on most helmets are to _decrease_ any lift caused by the helmet that could cause it to pull on the chinstrap at speed, which is one of the common complaints of half helmets. the lift is reduced by _disrupting_ the aerodynamics. i dont know why the manufacturer that he referenced would make their spoiler increase lift as their page claims.