General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015 | 07:52 AM
GatekeeperOIF
|
Novice
Default ABS Failure

ABS modular failure. (SAFETY WARNING)

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that have ABS on their bike

I have an 09 FLTHC W/ ABS. Started bike up, ABS ICON lit up and then a few seconds later it went out..(all normal) but as I was riding I had to stop really quick and locked up the rear tire, slid about twenty feet and brought the bike to a stop. I thought that was really strange as when the ABS kicks in it pulsates, this did not happen.

I got home and pulled the codes(had a feeling something was wrong??) and all referenced failure dealing with ABS codes, so I brought the bike in to service to check out the reason..I was told that the ABS modular was not working/failed and that I needed a new one. $700+ parts/labor.

Bottom line is don't always trust your gauges/icons to be accurate. Not sure why it failed but I'm pissed that on start up it looked normal and seemed to be working properly. For me, I consider this to be a huge safety issue.

Mike

Old 08-07-2015 | 08:04 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

The bike probably didn't know there was a failure until the ABS was actually used. Not saying that's right, and maybe when you started the bike all was OK.

Old 08-07-2015 | 08:14 AM
GatekeeperOIF
|
Novice

I didn't want to make this a long post but with the information I provided I see what you mean.

But I noticed this on a couple of other rides earlier when I breaked a little too hard and skidded. Wondered why the ABS didn't kick in.

Mike

Old 08-07-2015 | 08:26 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

This bike is my first with ABS and the first time I used it, I felt it pulsing. It was kind of strange, since I never felt that before. I've always wondered if it connected to the rear wheel. I guess I can try to lock up the rear tire and see what happens.

Old 08-07-2015 | 08:55 AM
GatekeeperOIF
|
Novice

That's how I knew something was wrong, the was no pulsing when I applied the brakes. And I do believe with the newer models the front and rear brake are tied together in my layman mechanical mind.😀

Old 08-07-2015 | 04:25 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I heard a salesman say the touring bikes brakes are linked. Since that's not what I have, I'm pretty sure mine aren't liked. Too bad too...I'd like that option.

Old 08-07-2015 | 07:31 PM
greybeard122
Cruiser

In time, all the bikes will have linked brakes. They release it on a few models and work out the bugs, then release it to the other lines.

Old 08-07-2015 | 08:29 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Thanks for the heads-up. That's why I try not to rely on it. It's there as a safety net only. Glad you figured out what was up with it.

Old 08-08-2015 | 07:29 PM
scarycarry
Advanced

I think if you read your manual you'll find ABS brakes can be locked up under 15(?)MPH.

I think if you read your manual you'll find ABS brakes can be locked up under 15(?)MPH. I've lock mine up on my 2013 Heritage at slow speed.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-11-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2015 | 09:38 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by scarycarry
I think if you read your manual you'll find ABS brakes can be locked up under 15(?)MPH. I've lock mine up on my 2013 Heritage at slow speed.

Absolutely right. Almost put mine down in a rain-slicked gas station lot.

Quick Reply: ABS Failure