General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conclusion of non DOT helmet ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Conclusion of non DOT helmet ticket...

If I were to fail to show up for court, I'd be in the captain's office the next day answering for why I wasn't there.

likewise

but- my court is OT and vacation time.... so i go- happily

Old 05-02-2007, 12:10 AM
slack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now being from a state that only requires a helmet on 18 and under, if I were to wear my non-DOT lid to CA could I get a ticket if the officer so decided? Is it something that they can pull you over for, or do they need something else to pull you over then they add it on?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:26 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: harleyrobert4

I have a questions for anyone who can help. How can an LEO officer or anyone else tell the difference between a novelty helmet and a DOT helmet besides looking at a sticker on the back of a helmet? I would likeany responces from LEO if possible.
Novelty Helmet

DOT Helmet

In SOME Instances, its not very difficult

Being from a Non Helmet State, obviously I have never written a helmet ticket. But, if I were to (say on a minor), testimony would go something like this: "Your Honor, based upon my training, knowledge, and experience as both a Police Officer and a motorcyclist, I saw the defendant wearing a helmet which from the exterior appeared to be of a variety which is not approved for highway use. I stopped the defendant, explained to him why I stopped him, and asked to inspect his helmet. He allowed me to inspect the helmet, and upon finding no DOT sticker, I questioned him about where the sticker might be. He said it was not DOT approved, and I cited him for the violation".

Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
RMBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I went this morning to court for the trial. Fortunately for me the officer chose not to show up. So I got off. No fine, no points on my record... I am not sure why the officer didn't show up, but am glad. I took the money and ordered a DOT ACC carbon fiber helmet.
In case you hadn't noticed anubisss, today was May 1st and pretty much every LEO in Los Angeles and Orange Counties were on tactical alert because of the illegal immigrant marches. You probably just happened to have your court date on a day when most of the LEO's in the county were busy dealing with a bunch of BS.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I've always wondered and maybe you can help me, if you live in a helmet state and are required to wear one, why not wear a DOT helmet? Is looking cool worth more than your punkin? To me ...in a word....NO . Of course after recently having a crash and having my helmet crunched pretty good, I won't be riding without one ..ever....but as I've said before...your head, your choice.

Ride safe

Bubba

Old 05-02-2007, 01:21 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Time for Anubiss to buy a Lotto ticket!

Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I would hope (in fact expect) that any self respecting LEO would have more important things to spend their time on than going to court for a non-DOT helmet violation by a person who has judged his own life's worthagainst a little helmet weight.