Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?

ORIGINAL: xor13

I have the same thing in one disc in the lower back, although possibly not as severe as yours, mine is about half as thick as it should be. I rode street bikes that forced me to lean forward a bit while keeping the back straight. The FZ1 was perfect for no pain riding while cruisers would within 5 miles start causing pain. Since then, I have lost some weight and exercised, and make sure I do stomach crunches regularly. This past Saturday I rode about 300 miles on a nightster without any of that familiar back pain.
Try the mustang backrest seat, it enables me to ride, even long distance.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:37 AM
RKGary
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over 10 years ago had the lower back fussed along with all the screws, bolts and rods that were also added to my back. Best thing I ever did.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:59 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: boe1971200

I injured my back about 4 years ago doing some roofing on our hunting camp. It seems like it never really heals once you hurt it. Some days are better than others, but theres always some degree of pain there. Even when I ride, I still need to get off every 2 hours or so and stretch, to give my back a rest.
I hurt mine once in my life, really, really bad,and I am 100% cured now. I have a whole battery of stretching exercises. Most men have problems as they get older because the hip flexers, glutes, and hamstrings get tight. With proper stretching you can avoid the degenerative problems. Stretch before it is too late. I am 46 now and I can keep up with my 16 and 18 year old boys. It is really the best kept secret. I promise you that if you told me this 1 year ago I would have told you that you were nuts! Try it for a couple of weeks and you will see the difference!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Spent
Road Captain

Have you tried reading"Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie? Excellent book that explains the spine, causes of back pain, and McKenzie's exercise program. Simple, but very effective for a majority of people with back pain.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 AM
vabubba
Tourer

Drunk driver in '99 hit me while I was at a stop light and he was moving 50 mph. Busted 2 discs at L-4 L-5 & L-5 S-1. Had a lamenectomy on the 2 discs in 2000 and kept having problems. Had another surgery last March and got the vertibrae fused. I still have terrible arthritis in my back, but it is more tolerable now than it was. I got a rider backrest last year that helped somewhat, but then I installed 16" apes and that made a huge difference. It keeps my back straighter now and I can ride longer distances between stretches.I still have bad days(yesterday) but as long as I am still functional I ain't slowing down.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm working on the losing weight and stretching--it really makes a difference. I used to jump out of airplanes when I was in the Army and no doubt crashed and burned a few too many times. I have a backrest I stick on the scoot if I'm going long distance. Breaks and Ibuprofen for the win. Injured it years ago accidentally and every now and then it goes. When that happens, it's Flexeril, Vicodin and rest. Sit a chiro regularly.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

I used to jump out of airplanes when I was in the Army and no doubt crashed and burned a few too many times.
Did you ever consider using a parachute?