Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
slack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?

First let me say there is nothing worse than back pain. mine is L4-L5, L5-S1. Pushes on my nerve most of the time it is just comfort level pain. But at the time there was not a position that I could get in to get away from the pain.

A friend of mine at work her husband has degenerative disc disorder and almost his whole spine is fused together. He is now on medicial retirement. He has a morphine pump for the pain, but the down side to that is the morphine makes him sick so he is faced with the problem, be sick throwing up ect. or try and handle the pain. So he is just sick and in pain most of the time.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Rabid
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had spinal fusion done when I was 25 years old. Now at 52 I get by, but have the back brace handy when lifting or physically tired. Sounds like I'm luckier than most on this board.

Rabid

Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 622 Posts

Swimming on a regular basis seems to help me, but loosing a couple pounds is not a bad thing either.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Amy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DEGENERATIVE SPINE here. Not as bad as some but I have been seeing a chiro for about a year now. He said my spine looks like a much older persons. It seems to have improved 100% since seeing him. But my neck is the worst part of it all. It is like a non-stop nagging pain. He said it curves a different way then it should.
Doesn't really bother me when riding unless I slept on it wrong again.

I did crack my tailbone last year at Carowinds on a stupid rollercoaster that Mark dared me to ride ( I am deathly afraid of heights...but I never back down from a dare) and it causes me alot of trouble. When I bought my barebones seat I sent it out to have the leather changed and they suggested I have a hole cut out right in the tailbone part. It works great !!!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:38 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

For those here with the degenerative disc or other problems associated with the spine, have you looked into the plastic replacement disc procedures? I read about it a couple of years ago and I couldn't find the exact link that I read then, but here is another one.
I'm no doctor but if I where facing fusion operation, I'd look into it.
http://www.vfinance.com/pdfs/Spinal_final072004.pdf

Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Any one have back pain only when laying down? I am perfectly fine during the day, can do anything I want, golf, baseball, basketball, but after sleeping 4-5 hours it is sheer pain and I have to get up. Anyone else?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 AM
ecvjohn
Banned

Just had the surgery on the 16th, fused L4-L5-L5-S1, I feel better now than I have in years.
As for dealing with the pain in years gone by I would take one of those velcro back braces and stick an ice pack in it to relieve the pain. I have a high tolerance for pain meds( read as most don't do squat for me) so that was the best relief for me. Stretching and staying mobile also help, I understand the occasional day down but movement is good.
While riding I'd just shift around on the seat and stop frequently to stretch.

The doc is right you will eventually self fuse but it won't be as good as surgery. Hard to believe that nobody will do the surgery with all of the technology out there. Degen Disc is just that, the disc and they fuse bone to bone after removing the offending discs. I'd keep looking for another opinion if it were me.
Nobody should have to live with that kind of pain.
Good luck dude.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

L5/S1 ruptured in March of '05. Paralyzed from the waist down for 36 hrs. Emergency discectomy, resulting in Cauda Equina Syndrome. (fancy name for spinal cord damage...) Lots of numbness below the waist/can no longer run, etc. Spent '05 on the couch, didn't ride at all. Figured that was all behind me actually. Fortunately got back in the saddle last summer. Decided I'd waited long enough this year, and bought a Fat Boy. I've made some good/some bad decisions/some yet to be determined, in consideration of my poor old back. Good - lost 60 lbs, started working out regularly (swimming...great workout/zero impact), "core" exercises on a regular basis (stomach muscles...), gel seat. Bad - driver's backrest. (put undue pressure on lower back, back problems have flaired up...) Yet To Be Determined - 4 1/2" risers/kidney belt. Most days back pain (fortunately) hasn't been an issue while riding. When it is, I have to admit to just grinning & baring it. I figure if my back is going to hurt, let it hurt doing something I enjoy. However, having flirted with life in a wheelchair, I know that as much as I love riding, if I have to make a decision, the bike goes. I'm hoping it never comes to that. [&o]

Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,642 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Osteoarthritis (sp?) here, feet, knees, hips and back are a train wreck from years of long distance running.

To the trailer bashers - yes I trailer my bike to destinations. I'd rather enjoy the destination/rally than try to recover from the ride getting there and back.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Got hit Feb 24 and knocked into another cage head on, flew 30 feet and landed on asphalt. Left with a herniated disk down low, not sure which one. First neurosurgeon said he could have me walking within 3 months. I told that azzwipe I walked into his office and I could damn well walk out. Go to see the next neurosurgeon next week. I'd rather avoid surgery if possible. But moving certain ways cause the burn in both legs all the way down to the heels. Just have no idea what will happen from here. Interesting thread.

Ride safe

Bubba

Quick Reply: Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?