Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?

I blew a fews discs - L4-L5-S1 about 14 yrs ago....residual effects from a prior mc accident...BAD sciatica, numb toe, couldn't stand, couldn't sleep,etc...it got to flaring up realbad every couple of yrs. Having doneeverything short of surgery (no f'ing way)the ONLY thing that worked is accupuncture - ittakes a few sessions but I'mmobile again....now, maintenance wise, I do exercises: stomach crunches, leg lifts, etc. Have a lumbar support in the chair.And stretch. Thats key. When I find myself tight from riding, working, etc, stop and stretch a bit.Also exercise in a pool if you can -similar routine but itsREAL helpful since there'sless physicalstrain and its ezier to do in the water.I swear by it.

Good luck - I know your pain and I want to keep it just a memory.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 ruptured disc.two in the neck,3 in lower back.Agood bit of pain sometimes but not always.To dumb and crazy in past years I guess.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 PM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

HOLY CRAP !!!!!

Lotsof us out there.

I still will not give in, I race off road cross country events approx 2 hours long to keep fit, that and bicycling.
You know,racing does not hurt no where near riding the HD on the street.
The vibration, seating positionand sharp jolts from the road are no match for me no matter how I adapt.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:26 PM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

My guy asked me when was the last time I jumped out of a plane. Seems I've got the spine of a skydiver!!!

I can't find a solution other than steroid injections into the spine every so often and lots of stretching whilst riding.

It's a bitch - seems like we just need to live with it

Old 05-01-2007, 05:15 PM
possum67
Advanced

Severe degenerative disks at L4-5, L5-S1, Lateral recess stenosis and 2 ruptured disk up a little further... they want to chip bone, fix the ruptures and fuse 3 disk back...I put surgery off until I can no longer stand the pain or get out of bed. The longer I sit in this office chair the more I hurt...so the boss always asks "where have you been?" ....I will just live with it for now, have for last 1 and 1/2 year!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Harleygal

Sciatica and degenerative arthritis of the cervical spine - exercise and lots of "vitamin I" - prescription ibuprophen and butt breaks every couple of hours!
Are you aware that prescription ibuprophen is no different than what you can buy OTC? You just have to increase the number of 200 mg pills you take. Many times I take 800mg (4 pills) of the OTC stuff twice a day. Buy it in quantity and it is pretty inexpensive.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
squid
Banned

Lamenectomy when I was 25 now I'm 48 with all the same other **** wrong on the back.Norco is what I take, less ibuprofen.My livers a little scarred from 30 yrs. of Hep c

Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

Arthritis in neck and lower back, a recurring pinched nerve in mid-lower back. I take 100MG of DICLOFENAC SODIUM (generic, kick azz anti-inflamitory) whenI pinch the nerve. I always use my back rest on the Corbin seat. Can't ride at allwhen the nerve is inflamed. Tylenol helps with the artie, but not much.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

WOW you are lucky, the 6 docs I saw wouldnt even think of doing a level 3 operation.
I have sent my information to about another 6 docs and clinical trials and all responded that my degeneration is too bad to operate.
I never understood them saying it is too bad to operate till one doc explained that there is so much damage that there is nothing to stabalize to...and eventually in time (10 years or so) the discs will self fuse.
I'm glad this was from the head of surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Spine Center or I would have called him out as BS !!

ORIGINAL: possum67

Severe degenerative disks at L4-5, L5-S1, Lateral recess stenosis and 2 ruptured disk up a little further... they want to chip bone, fix the ruptures and fuse 3 disk back...I put surgery off until I can no longer stand the pain or get out of bed. The longer I sit in this office chair the more I hurt...so the boss always asks "where have you been?" ....I will just live with it for now, have for last 1 and 1/2 year!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had C3,4 & 5 fused in October, doing good now. Had off and on lower back problems for many years. They found a compression fracture at L4 that apparently was several years old .

Still get sciatica in the left leg, not too severe, more like an annoying cramp in the left butt cheek that runs down the leg.

Went to Cedar Point a couple of years ago, rode the Mean Streak, wooden roller coaster. It was so rough I had trouble walking for over a week.

Quick Reply: Who's got bad back, discs or degeneration...?